SSP query

mc25
mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Employee phones in sick on a Tue, so he is off (Tue, wed, thur) then on friday goes to the employer and hands his notice in and give a weeks notice (dont work on fri too), he dont work the rest of the week as he claims off sick as well, is the employee entitle to the 6 days ssp. That is the previous wk fri (as the waiting days served on Tue Wed & Thur) then the week he was meant to be working his notice but is off sick?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mc25 wrote: »
    Employee phones in sick on a Tue, so he is off (Tue, wed, thur) then on friday goes to the employer and hands his notice in and give a weeks notice (dont work on fri too), he dont work the rest of the week as he claims off sick as well, is the employee entitle to the 6 days ssp. That is the previous wk fri (as the waiting days served on Tue Wed & Thur) then the week he was meant to be working his notice but is off sick?

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

I *think* that if you're working your notice you are technically working same as normal, so I'd expect normal SSP applies if he's fulfilled the criteria.

Payroll aint my strong point though :)
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    sick pay

Statutory sick pay would be payable, assuming the employee has provided a sick note. You should refer to the employee's contract before making a decision, there may be additional provisions for sick leave, or giving notice.

Not paying the employee could lead to a claim, so be careful.

Why not call the MIP helpline if you're unsure?

Hope that helps
  • mc25
    Thanks

Mosoon thanks for your reply, I do payroll but all this small things which crope up you always get stuck, the only doubt I have got is employee did not produce SSP sick from the doctors only printed the SC2 from HMRC website and filled it in, I could have thought we do actually need a confirmation from the DR confirming this, unless I am wrong..... or with the form he has completed does he qualify for ssp??
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mc25 wrote: »
    Mosoon thanks for your reply, I do payroll but all this small things which crope up you always get stuck, the only doubt I have got is employee did not produce SSP sick from the doctors only printed the SC2 from HMRC website and filled it in, I could have thought we do actually need a confirmation from the DR confirming this, unless I am wrong..... or with the form he has completed does he qualify for ssp??

you prob already know this but here

you dont have to produce a sick note for the first week i have it calculated at first 4 days entitled to 19.79 as three day waiting period then following week 79.15
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Is there still the online calculator on hmrc website? I seem to remember using this when I used to do payroll.
    Agree with A-Vic, don't need Dr's note for first week, but as he works 4 day week (Mon - Friday) is the week of notice his second week?
  • mc25
    Thanks

Thanks all for your replies that has confirmed a few doubt i had. Thumbs up to all.. and A-vic you are right I will have to def confirm about the 2nd week.
  • A-Vic
    Jan wrote: »
    Is there still the online calculator on hmrc website? I seem to remember using this when I used to do payroll.
    Agree with A-Vic, don't need Dr's note for first week, but as he works 4 day week (Mon - Friday) is the week of notice his second week?

i remember you gave me one for annual leave i just used our payroll softwear to work it out
  • mc25
    more info

Just learnt the employee is an apprentice, I gues this does affect if he gets paid the SSP or not???
  • A-Vic
    sorry not a clue not delt with them - but has anyone know what districk 106 accounts office is?
  • A-Vic
    well thats the thing its for PAYE and have been told shipley (long story) but i was sure it was east lancs anyway managed to get the contact number thanks Anne
Privacy Policy