Voluntary work

Options
Aaron C Rescue
Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
My friend has recently been voted is as chairwoman of the local swimming club and she has asked me to take over 'doing the books'. It's currently done by someone with no experience whatsoever and mostly it relates to counting the cash subscriptions and paying the tutor. I am not due to finish until June, and I guess qualify in August, is there any reason why I should not help out my friend out?

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi

Firstly, there is probably a committee and, unless your friend was previously Treasurer, there is probably a protocol to be followed for appointing a new Treasurer, so it ought to go to a vote first. Although normally there's a shortage of people wanting to look after the finances. I mention this because you probably don't want to rush in with all your good intentions only to find that you've upset "Mrs Busybody" who naturally thought she would be first in line for the post!!!

Secondly, as a person who has been on several committees as Treasurer; I would recommend that you look to see how many transactions happen on a weekly/monthly/annual basis, so that you can determine how much time is going to be involved. If you discover that you're expected to be at the swimming pool every day of the week, you might consider that it's more than you really want to do! Determine how much time you can offer and don't over-commit.

Charities Registration - find out if they're registered as there would be additional work involved if they are. Accounts do need to be properly audited for the Charities Commission and all Committee Members act as Trustees to the Charity, if it is registered.

Another note is to consider out of pocket expenses - there have been postings on here of people who have incurred substantial costs, travelling to meetings for instance, and you should clarify the situation on costs you incur.

All in all, there is no reason why you shouldn't help your friend - good luck.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Aaron C Rescue
    Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks for that Anna. Good pointers for things to be wary of.

The only reason I have been asked is due to the fact that the current lady no longer wants to do it, and there isn't anyone else.
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The other thing i would quietly suggest is agreeing to do it for a fixed period say 2 years - you can always sign up for another two after but it avoids the attempts of a small commitee to "trap" you in post regardless of where else your life has gone in two years time. These things can turn into a never ending chore that sap your soul if you are'nt careful.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Jon_1984 wrote: »
    The other thing i would quietly suggest is agreeing to do it for a fixed period say 2 years - you can always sign up for another two after but it avoids the attempts of a small commitee to "trap" you in post regardless of where else your life has gone in two years time. These things can turn into a never ending chore that sap your soul if you are'nt careful.

I totally agree - the problem that the club has at the moment is no willing volunteer to take on the 'sometimes onerous' responsibility, it is not uncommon to get stuck into a position to find that no other bu**er will do it!

I ended up doing school treasury for 5 years then had 12 months off when we 'found' someone, only for me to then have to take it back and sort a whole year in a fortnight so that the records could be audited. Then there was still money I couldn't account for as he hadn't done anything except keep a pile of odd paperwork, instead of use all the spreadsheets which cross cast perfectly (and yes I had trained him and been available to help if he had asked - I just had a new baby I wanted to spend time with too)!

A x
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Guys

I just want to share my experienced about volunteering,I think I was disperate enough to start to work and I keep contacting the company that I think have a potential and also I can learn from them basically.

Short story they interview me and promise me to have a certain training before I can hands on job, In fact I was setting in the reception room on my own no idea what to say if someone call and my manager expect me to answer all the query from people who phone. Soooo frightening actually.

Although, I'm working three weeks now but honestly deep in my heart even though its three hours a day, twice a week its like a whole day work, nothing I learn setting in the room on my own, just wasting my time (its so stressful and sometimes I go there and no one in the office, I have to wait if someone open the door (telephone conversation is not my cup tea but I just want something on my CV so I have to do it).
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    i volunteer for my daughters cub group. i have been doing it for nearly 2 years now and i have gone from being group treasurer to district treasurer.

i have found that as soon as i have said i am studying aat and want more experience, they snapped my hand off.

it also looks good on a cv :)

Tracy
Privacy Policy