Interview tips / techniques?

Mikeb111
Mikeb111 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to share any tips or sucessfull techniques they may have used in the past for securing their own jobs.

I have an interview later this week for a trainee position in the Public sector. I've had a couple of interviews recently, so I think my applications and CV are working ok, but my interview technique is potentially letting me down as I'm not getting the positions.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Comments

• LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What organisation are you going for mike?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Relax!

Chances are the interviewers are equally as nervous.

Make sure you show any positives of your character.

Answer questions with what you honestly think and don't try to second guess the answer they really want. Be imaginative ans show your character.

Learn your answers to the common questions. Strengths, weaknesses, what you can offer the company. Do your research and mention it in a subtle way. I.e. When they ask any other questions. Don't just say no. Ask one if you have one. If you really don't they say you have covered everything from the research you done and the questions during the interview.

Best of luck and be confident.
    Regards,

Burg
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    a big advantage ive found with strenght/weaknesses was point out a weakness but how you overcame it.

ask questions about the company even try as much as possible to personalise it but dont be over personable - an on the same footing ask the same back (if the interview you feel is going well) this worked for me and made the interview more relaxed.

ask how the job came about - most of all keep the interviewer talking show an interest.

Also go into the interview as if its a practise (makes you less tense)

also remeber if your successful you will be working with these people so find out what the job entails and who it is you will be working with, remember its just as much you interviewing them as much as them you.

Also if they ask a question say you dont know be honest.

After an interview take notes as soon as possible just on the off chance it went well/badly so that you know what you did right/wrong.

Good luck with the job hunt and please keep us informed how you went on.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    i thought i had answered this it seems i havent!

i had an interview last week and the good feedback i received was that i listened to the question took my time (calm) to think the answer and when i answered my answer was structured (they say not many people do this and interviewers seeks this big time)

An structured answer means

A) Answer the question with what the interviewers want to hear, ie , what the job description says about it
    B) give your own experience example on how you did this in the future
    C) give different other options/actions that could have been taken

EXAMPLE:

Job description says: Ensure that invoices are raised correctly and highlight anomalies when arisen

Question from interviewers:

Scenario, a customer calls and says that the invoice sent is missing some information and therefore invoice will not be paid, how do you amend this?

Answer:

A) To ensure that customer pays our invoices, these need to be raised correctly from the point of sale and if there are any anomalies highlight them to the line manager.
    B) i have created in my past role a report that shows all invoices prior to being printed so i can check the information shown is correct and if there are any wrong data or missing information request for the invoice to be reprinted before sending it to the customer
    C) also, regular meetings with the sales supports who raise the orders and invoices can be arranged to promt any anomalies
  • Mikeb111
    Mikeb111 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be sure to take on board and hopefully not forget it all when I get to the interview.

Lee - The job is for a trainee position for a local council.

I'll keep you all posted!
  • LeeS2009
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be sure to take on board and hopefully not forget it all when I get to the interview.

Lee - The job is for a trainee position for a local council.

I'll keep you all posted!

Mike....

Listen mate whenever anyone asks for tips on interviews, pretty much 98% of people will come out with the same correct and helpful advice. In fact, I am pretty sure that if someone asked you for your advice on interviews...you would be able to reel off all the common ones most of which you have been reading.

So if you know already why are you asking?

Dont make a big thing about an interview...its just a conversation....thats it.

The best tip I can give you Mike and this will stand you in good stead for the future is this.
    Write out your key skills and achievements. For each one, frame it. Give it a beginning, a middle and an end (so in an answer to a question, give me an example of when you -- you tell them what the problem was, what you decided to do to overcome the problem, then what you did and the impact your actions had on problem.

You need to learn your key skills and achievements off by heart Mike and enjoy talking about them, do it so much it becomes second nature, because when a manager asks 20 - 30 people the same questions in interviews and most stop, think, umms and errs, then its going to be that guy who was sharp, on the ball, confident in his answers, looking comfortable under pressure, who is banging out these answers with no hesitation.

Good luck buddy, its all about preparation
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Be sure to read up on Equal Opportunities. I work for local council and they are sure to ask a question on this.

Good Luck
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    When I was temping a couple of years ago, I was working alongside the company interviewer and one of his favourite questions was "If you were a fish what fish would you be?" I said "A shark 'cos I'd eat you for asking such an absurd question".

To me, it proves nothing beyond the interviwer being a bit of a knob as almost anyone when asked a question outside their comfort zone will struggle and rather a shallow judge way to judge character and ability. If it's do with response times, well if it's a job for trainee fighter pilot maybe, otherwise...

Sorry, you can go back on track now.
  • LeeS2009
    When I was temping a couple of years ago, I was working alongside the company interviewer and one of his favourite questions was "If you were a fish what fish would you be?" I said "A shark 'cos I'd eat you for asking such an absurd question".

To me, it proves nothing beyond the interviwer being a bit of a knob as almost anyone when asked a question outside their comfort zone will struggle and rather a shallow judge way to judge character and ability. If it's do with response times, well if it's a job for trainee fighter pilot maybe, otherwise...

Sorry, you can go back on track now.

Its not just to do with response times you herb, I am just saying regardless of who is interviewing, the most impressive thing thats comes accross is presence. The highest % of communication comes from body language...and if you are confident in your preparation and your ansers so that you dont need to be a slope to answer them...this shows through in confidence and your manner, it shows through in your presence, and it goes a long way to being successful in an interview
  • Marga
    i had the interview not long ago and while the interviewers where sitting laying their backs in their chairs i was leaning forward that shows you are interested and willing

i did keep though using my hands for everything i was explaining

i was asked by one of my colleagues if i was nervous before the interview and actually the answer was no although i was a bit

i was honest and confident in my answers i did prepare some of the "weakneses" "strengths" and "major achievement" i gave two examples of each , on a work level and on a personal level

interviewers always want the best qualified person to fit the role but so they want someone with personality that can work along the team ....unlesss you are applying for a high exec or management position then doesnt matter your management skills
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Marga wrote: ยป
    unlesss you are applying for a high exec or management position then doesnt matter your management skills

I read this as if you are applying for a management position, your management skills don't matter.

You got me confused there!
  • LeeS2009
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    I read this as if you are applying for a management position, your management skills don't matter.

You got me confused there!

you are easily confused dear
  • Marga
    i was being sarcastic .....

not many managers have management skills or personal skills for that matter
  • LeeS2009
    i was being sarcastic .....

not many managers have management skills or personal skills for that matter

then it begs the question - what are the most important top 5 qualities a good manager should possess?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Management exist to keep those people out of the productive workforce.
  • LeeS2009

Not true
  • Marga
    then it begs the question - what are the most important top 5 qualities a good manager should possess?

to me the first one would be "be respectful to your employees...at the end of the day they are the ones that are saving your a***"
  • LeeS2009
    to me the first one would be "be respectful to your employees...at the end of the day they are the ones that are saving your a***"

lol thats a poor effort, 1 out of 5???

There is no right or wrong answers though...just curious about your opinion
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Business skills
    People skills
    Organisational skills
    Understanding of the industry
    Experience

Off the top of my head!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

20881.strip.print.gif
  • LeeS2009
    :lol:
  • Marga
    lol thats a poor effort, 1 out of 5???

There is no right or wrong answers though...just curious about your opinion

well write the above five times ..... then you have 5 out of 5 LOL
Privacy Policy