ATT or AAT Payroll course?

jackieshep
jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
I have finished my AAT Diploma, and enjoy working for SME's. I would like to further my studies but don't want to go down the Chartered Accountant route.

In my present job I do carry out payroll duties, using Sage Payroll, but am not sure whether to enrol on a payroll course, or to do a tax course that has more scope, being the ATT

I would appreciate any comments, including which course has more recognition within the workplace.

Many thanks

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Personally I think think that the ATT has much more standing.

It depends on where you want to go? What you want to do?

Will you have any tax experience to go along with the studies?

You sort of need to answer your own question. You should have the knowledge to know which is right for you. Think about what you want to achieve and it should make sense.

Best of luck with whichever you decide
    Regards,

Burg
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If you want t do ATT do you need to be working in more of a tax role?

I've been wondering about ATT too, but I'm not sure if I could obtain the experience.

Does anyone know what the ATT require you to complete in the way of experience? Do they have similare requirements to the AAT for membership regarding authenticated experience?

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • sloshed
    sloshed Registered Posts: 100 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

Link to ATT membership requirements

http://www.att.org.uk/showarticle.pl?id=116
  • CMS
    CMS Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    I am looking to work for myself in the future. I dont have a payroll or tax qualification through AAT and feel these are imporatant if offering services as self employed. I was looking to do the AAT Payroll and AAT Personalised Tax Conputations courses. Would anyone recommend ATT over ATT Tax then?

CMS
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A payroll qualification is a totally different kettle of fish to ATT.

ATT is HARD and a well respected qualification.

It depends what you want to do with it, really.

The main thing is not more qualifications, it's geting the experience because you can't work for yourself doing things in which you're inexperienced but more-than qualified. :)

Get some experience and then decide what route you want to go down. If you want to go into general practice, then I would go for ATT; I began studying ATT as I felt the tax modules of AAT were not detailed enough.
Privacy Policy