Paying partner

Emthi
Emthi Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all

I posted this thread on Acc. web

How do you all feel that can we pay the partner who has no role or a tiny part in the business? Let me put this other way around. I am paying my wife a salary of £5720 PLUS a dividend of £38,155 (34,339+3,816). Do you feel that the dividend I pay is reasonable or do I have to reduce it?

Thanks

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    This is a very dodgy area. Essentially a partner (as in the wife/husband sense) must only receive payment for the work they do. You would have to prove the work undertaken in an enquiry. I would be very careful with this one. Seek professional help!
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    t.c. wrote: »
    this is a very dodgy area. Essentially a partner (as in the wife/husband sense) must only receive payment for the work they do. You would have to prove the work undertaken in an enquiry. I would be very careful with this one. Seek professional help!

especially if you are an mp! :lol:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Absolutely no problem whatsoever with the dividends. It is a return on investment.

The salary will need to be justified as THAT is remuneration for work performed.
  • Emthi
    Emthi Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks

Thank you all
  • CMS
    CMS Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    With regards to the Salary, does that count for anyone? For example not just partners but other family members like daughters, sons etc. Do they need to be doing work to get a salary and who would check? HMRC?

Thanks for any advise
    CMS
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yes, yes and yes.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yes, yes and yes.

Very succinctly put!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy