Information Commissioner's office

Options
speegs
speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Everyone,

Please could someone tell me if I need to register with the ICO? I have two clients whose details for VAT and book keeping reasons are on my computer. I think I therefore have to register, but my Dad, who is an FCA and does loads of tax returns, says I do not. My Dad says my practice is too small to warrant registering, but I think he is wrong. For the sake of £35 yearly and not getting a criminal record I think I need to register, but please could someone advise me?

Thanks

Speegs

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Speegs, I am registered, I didn't think I was exempt. Their site says:

'Notification is a statutory requirement and every organisation that processes personal information must notify the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to notify is a criminal offence.'

See this link for exemptions -

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection_guide/exemptions.aspx
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    beat me to it.

Quote form the Exemptions section

Good little tool, yes/no question to assertain your position

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/notifications_handbook_html/6_appendix.html#q5

Section 4
    Notification exemptions
    The Act provides an exemption from notification for some data controllers. Exemptions are possible for the following.

Data controllers who only process personal information for:
    staff administration (including payroll);
    advertising, marketing and public relations (in connection with your own business activity); and
    accounts and records.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I'm also registered as per the reasons given above
    Regards,

Burg
  • speegs
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have contacted the ICO today to get myself registered as a Data Controller. I think my Dad needs to get his act together!!! At least I am doing the right thing.

Speegs

Has learnt to spell.
    Now I am learning to count.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    help4u wrote: »
    The only way your dad can get away with it is to say that he is not processing any information, i.e. they are all manual records kept in the file.

Not really..

"Processing means obtaining, recording or holding the data or carrying out any operation or set of operations on that data."

Merely holding those manual records falls within the definition of processing.
  • speegs
    Options
    Hey my dad has just told me that actually he is registered he just had not realised exactly what I was talking about.

Silly daddy. Well he is getting old (ish)
  • jilt
    Options
    Thats reminded me I haven't renewed mine, thanks Speegs
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jilt wrote: »
    Thats reminded me I haven't renewed mine, thanks Speegs

You're gonna renew your dad? What's wrong with him? Is this something to do with you marrying your younger brother?
  • jilt
    Options
    :lol: My husband aka younger brother is now wondering why the hell I'm LMAO!
Privacy Policy