Charging VAT for work done in EU

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
A Quick one for you.

Do you charge VAT for work done in an EU country ? (e.g. a company sent an empolyee over to do some engineering work in slovakia)

Thanks

Vic

Comments

• LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    A Quick one for you.

Do you charge VAT for work done in an EU country ? (e.g. a company sent an empolyee over to do some engineering work in slovakia)

Thanks

Vic

I was under the impression that a company based in the UK has to abide by UK Vat law regardles of where the employee works. So yes?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I was under the impression that a company based in the UK has to abide by UK Vat law regardles of where the employee works. So yes?

??
  • A-Vic
    Options
    no i mean do they charge the slovakian based company vat on their bill?
  • sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    A Quick one for you.

Thanks

Vic

Tricky one!!

Does the service become an export? because by exporting services or goods it becomes zero rated i think, therefore no Vat charged.

Im not an expert on VAT though like most people.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    thats what i thought i know the goods were bought here so there is Vat on the purchases however on the services is where am stuck
  • sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    thats what i thought i know the goods were bought here so there is Vat on the purchases however on the services is where am stuck

I would say the Sales invoice should be exempt from Vat, however like you say, any purchases within the UK are perfectly claimable.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I would say the Sales invoice should be exempt from Vat, however like you say, any purchases within the UK are perfectly claimable.

great thanks thats what i thought cheers :)
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Tricky one!!

Does the service become an export? because by exporting services or goods it becomes zero rated i think, therefore no Vat charged.

Im not an expert on VAT though like most people.

If you are in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in the UK, you charge and account for VAT according to UK VAT rules.

If you are in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in another EU country, the supply is outside the scope of UK VAT. However, for some supplies, you may need to register and account for local VAT in the country of supply. You will need to check with the tax authority in that country to find out how to treat the services you are supplying.

If the place of supply of your service is not in the EU, then your supply of services is outside the scope of VAT. You don't have to charge EU VAT or include the sale on your VAT Return.
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    point of supply is outside UK, so IMO its Exempt.

Correct my mistake
  • A-Vic
    Options
    point of supply is outside UK, so IMO its Exempt.

Correct my mistake

Sorry last message deleted bad reading skills must improve lol thanks
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Slovakia is a member state for VAT purposes (vat identification numbers start with SK).
    If the company that is being charged for the service has a Slovakian vat identification number then do not charge vat, but if the Slovakian company is not registered for vat in its own country then you have to charge UK vat.

From the 1st Jan 2010 both goods and services inside the EU have to be recorded, and disclosed on EC sales lists.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/cross-border-changes-2010.htm
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Slovakia is a member state for VAT purposes (vat identification numbers start with SK).
    If the company that is being charged for the service has a Slovakian vat identification number then do not charge vat, but if the Slovakian company is not registered for vat in its own country then you have to charge UK vat.

From the 1st Jan 2010 both goods and services inside the EU have to be recorded, and disclosed on EC sales lists.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/cross-border-changes-2010.htm

o lord forgot about the changes may take further investigation thanks Mini
  • A-Vic
    Options
    good grief at last finally got an answer from VAT office for above question

No actual vat will be charged but you have to write on the invoice subject to reverse charge, then when completing VAT return complete an ec sales list.

and breath
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    good grief at last finally got an answer from VAT office for above question

No actual vat will be charged but you have to write on the invoice subject to reverse charge, then when completing VAT return complete an ec sales list.

and breath

Yeah I had read something similar a while back but couldn't remember exactly and also thought rules may have changed slightly so didn't want to give you duff info. I told the stupid stepson and the boss that they weren't raising 'proper' invoices to the EU but as usual they ignored me. Good job we have very few lines that attract VAT!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    jilt wrote: ยป
    Yeah I had read something similar a while back but couldn't remember exactly and also thought rules may have changed slightly so didn't want to give you duff info. I told the stupid stepson and the boss that they weren't raising 'proper' invoices to the EU but as usual they ignored me. Good job we have very few lines that attract VAT!

whats crazy poor client needed to set up a bacs for payment yesterday but had to wait and we have been trying since 3 to get hold of the vat office and just kept getting please try later and finally got someone 10 mins ago
Privacy Policy