PCR and PEV

Marky Astra
Marky Astra Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
Im currently studying in Level 4 AAT and i study at a college on a day release course.

When i have been studying my AAT for the last 2 years, i have sometimes wondered why PCR and PEV gets included in the AAT course, personally i think the course should be split with options of what you would prefer to choose, simply because when im learning PCR and PEV at college i pretty much always think to myself when am i ever going to use this again?

I personally want to complete all the tax exams and DFS as thats where i want to aim for the future (im sure other people are aiming for PEV/PCR in the future so they might take the same view) so i would much rather complete the options i am interested in rather than being stuck with subjects im not really interested in and have no use for.

Dont get me wrong im sure there are alot of people who like studying these subjects and they would be able to use them in the future and they might not find subjects such as PTC, BTC and DFS as useful.

I think if the courses were split then it would be so much better if you could choose which subjects you would like to do and then this would give you more confidence knowing you could learn what you like.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Marcus

Comments

• sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Im currently studying in Level 4 AAT and i study at a college on a day release course.

When i have been studying my AAT for the last 2 years, i have sometimes wondered why PCR and PEV gets included in the AAT course, personally i think the course should be split with options of what you would prefer to choose, simply because when im learning PCR and PEV at college i pretty much always think to myself when am i ever going to use this again?

I personally want to complete all the tax exams and DFS as thats where i want to aim for the future (im sure other people are aiming for PEV/PCR in the future so they might take the same view) so i would much rather complete the options i am interested in rather than being stuck with subjects im not really interested in and have no use for.

Dont get me wrong im sure there are alot of people who like studying these subjects and they would be able to use them in the future and they might not find subjects such as PTC, BTC and DFS as useful.

I think if the courses were split then it would be so much better if you could choose which subjects you would like to do and then this would give you more confidence knowing you could learn what you like.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Marcus

Accountancy is full af Units you will never use, however different areas will be used depending on the industry you are working in, therefore as an Accountant you are required to be Competent in all areas not just the ones you will be working in.

Much of the Costing for example... Variances are used mainly in manufacturing industries and may never need to use them but i think the proffessional Status of an Accountant prepares you for all working environments.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Well said sammy

Marcus
    It is the same issue with all accountancy qualifications (well ICAEW ICAS CIMA and ACCA)

You don't have to study things that you feel don't apply to you, but if you want a qualification that says you understand them, then you have to put up with them.

I don't see many, but from time to time we have non-AAT students in our AAT classes. A local businessman might want a structured course in cash management, so he sits in with the OCMC students, a qualified accountant wants up-to-date understanding of personal tax sits in with AAT tax students. These things make sense, but if you want to be able to use MAAT status to further your career then you need to demonstrated (by exam etc) that you are competent at all of it.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy