CIMA/ACCA Exemptions costs

Options
stuartander
stuartander Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Just a litlle question.

I have only 3 units to complete on Technician stage, does anyone no how much we have to pay in exemption costs for cima or ACCA. I have looked at the webiste but im still not 100% clear????

Thanks

Stuart

Comments

• Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Woah?? You have to pay for exemption costs? How does that work...
  • sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Ye i had to pay £225 for all 5 exemptions from Certificate stage with my AAT qualification aswell as about £128 for you first year to become a CIMA student. in total it cost me £353 without the cost of exams, tuition, booke etc.

These were the costs as at Jan 2010.

Hope this helps.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

The exemption costs are the same as the corresponding exam fee/s. Could get pricey but better than having to do the actual exam/s!

Neil
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    so is it better to complete the aat (upto technician) and then get exempt, or stop at intermediate and start afresh? if you see what i mean?
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    taskey wrote: »
    so is it better to complete the aat (upto technician) and then get exempt, or stop at intermediate and start afresh? if you see what i mean?

The AAT exemption from CIMA is for the entire Certificate level. Which actually covers quite a bit not included under the AAT syllabus: mathematical techniques, introduction to law, introduction to economics.

If I didn't also have a degree in accounting, I probably would have done the certificate level anyway. Or at least gotten hold of the textbooks and have a good read through. (which I did)
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The expemtion fees are £44 for each of the certificate papers so 5 x £44 = £220

You then have to pay a registration fee of £60 and annual subscription of £90.

Overall it would cost £370 to register and gain exemptions for the certificate level.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    ACCA is 3 exemptions at exam entry fee (£53) plus you have to pay the registration fee (£69) upon joining and then pay it again the following January. If it helps you pay the registration fee and then it usually takes a month or so for the exemption fees to be invoiced so it doesn't come all in the same pay month.
  • sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    taskey wrote: »

No No No! Complete AAT first and take all 5 exemptions from certificate stage! The exemption fee is a pain but its better than have to sit each paper!

I do agree that certificate covers things that AAT doesnt so it is good to go through the books!
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I actually passed all 5 CIMA certificate exams - but as they are all multiple choice pc based exams with a pass rate of 50% or more, I felt that even though I passed them all first time, I didn't feel that I really learnt from it.

So I started AAT at advance certificate level last April and I have my final 2 exams in June to complete the diploma AAT. My understanding is far greater after completing the AAT course than that of the CIMA certificate exams.

The only thing that the AAT course lacks is the business law section (C5 exam).
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    sammyd22 wrote: »
    No No No! Complete AAT first and take all 5 exemptions from certificate stage! The exemption fee is a pain but its better than have to sit each paper!

I do agree that certificate covers things that AAT doesnt so it is good to go through the books!

ok, i am nearly finished aat anyway so that is what i was planning on doing
  • stuartander
    Options
    Ok, so regarding the ACCA exemption fees which is a bit cheaper as i can afford cima, so we pay £159 exemption and £69 for registration, is there also a one off set up like everyone else???
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yes the £69 is the one off fee. It is then payable annually each Jan so if you join in Dec you pay £69 in Dec and then £69 in the January and every january following.
  • stuartander
    Options
    Kool, thats a lot better
  • salfordman
    salfordman Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Does anyone know when we should be joining ACCA / CIMA? If its after we get our June results, won't it be too late to join to set exams in December?

Cheers
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

The CIMA and ACCA websites will have the student registration deadlines to be eligible for the November/December exam sittings, there will also be deadlines for applying for exemptions - in order for them to be processed before the exams.

The deadlines may be prior to the exam results, but in whihc case CIMA/ACCA may extend the deadline for AAT completers. There used to be arrangements for AAT results to be forwarded directly to CIMA/ACCA, providing this service was requested.

Neil
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I joined CIMA this year (think was end January) and the deadline was prior to the AAT results in Feb its the initial registration fee you pay.

If you do this and fail AAT exams the money is non refundable. However if you pass you then are eligable for the exemptions but you MUST complete the forms to allow AAT to release your results and send them conformation for your highest AAT level achieved to date.

They then allow you 8 weeks after they confirm the exemptions to pay them or you loose them. Im sure I paid £220 exemptions
Privacy Policy