Unit 10 - A Little Help Needed Please

Options
CelticStar
CelticStar Registered Posts: 142 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Just wondered if one of you kind people can advise me on something with regard to the dreaded Unit 10.

I am doing one of the simulations as I am not working in accounts at the moment. I don't know how much detail I can go into here but say I was doing my project on the Purchases Ledger, do I need to analyse the whole of the accounting system or just the Purchases Ledger under the section 'Analysis of the Current System'. I am assuming it would just be the Purchases Ledger as the rest of the system would make the project far too wide, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for any help given.

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Yes
    Just look at purchase ledger
    Identify what you consider needs to be improved
    Consider a number of possible solutions (apply cost benefit analysis)
    Recommend your preferred solution
    Outline how you would implement the solution (including staff training and contingency planning)
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • CelticStar
    Options
    Thank you, Sandy, that's really helpful.
  • citrus_sharp
    citrus_sharp Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    we were told to do a SWOT analysis on the entire system, and then do a more in depth analysis on our chosen area eg purchase ledger.

ooo dont forget to do a fraud matrix!!!
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    so, is the simulation easier that writing a report? or do you still need to write the report and the simulation is only a case study?
    How does it work? can I choose to do the simulation even if I'm working at the moment?
    thanks
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A case study is supposed to be harder than a real life situation.
    The case study still needs the same report as the real life situation, only that the only information you have is the case study, while you can ask colleagues etc for help if you are stuck with a real life work situation.

As far as I can read the OP meant a case study and not a different form of skilltest to avoid writing the report.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Cost benefit anaylsis

Ive found this project extreamly useful for work as i would be able to implement the changes (if it doesnt cost to much to implement) plus feel it will beneifit everyone but being a business my boss see £ signs (like any good business person would) so i feel a really good cost benefit anaylsis will be needed.

any ideas on how to best to do this

do i do a breakdown of costs as the system is and then the cost after recommended changes and compare, then add the cost to set up (say for instance how long the payback would be?)
  • CelticStar
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Londina, the simulation is the case study, which I have to base my report on as I do not work in accounting at the moment.
  • Londina
    Options
    CelticStar wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Londina, the simulation is the case study, which I have to base my report on as I do not work in accounting at the moment.

Can somebody do the case study anyway even is employed in accounts? I have no idea how do base my topic for this project :-(
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Londina wrote: »
    Can somebody do the case study anyway even is employed in accounts? I have no idea how do base my topic for this project :-(

We have someone at college that works in credit control but has decieded to do the simulation
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have just been deemed competent in my unit 10 project and passed.
    I used a case study - but you have to given a written reason at the start of your project as to why you use the case study instead of doing it on your workplace.

I think they prefer you to do it on your workplace, if at all possible.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Londina wrote: »

Yes - I did the case study even though I worked in accounts for 10 years!
  • Londina
    Options
    thanks everybody, I heard however that the case study is soo long (take hours to read!) and list lots of weaknesses! maybe best if I base the project on my work experience....

Another thing, all these forms to be submitted, especially the Project Planning Form and Unit Evidence Summary Form. I understand the second is required, but what about the first one? How could I fill it if I didn't start my 4000 words report yet? Example page 5 Element 10.2 ask "What is the cost of each of your recommendations, in £ or time", what should I answer to this?
    Why we have to fill the elements in this form when we have to fill the Unit Evidence Summary Form too, it's not a duplicated work?

And these ones are compulsory too?? "Knowledge and Understanding Questions"
    I don’t see them related to the project especially there are question s like “What did Hertzberg say” or “Identity Belbin’s 8 team roles. Which do you think you are and why”.
    Who are these people and how should I know the answers??

oh, getting crazy over this....
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Are you sure those are mandatory? Because it sounds to me like the knowledge and understanding questions from your book, which are just there to see if you understood what you just read.

I haven't seen those questions anywhere myself yet.

And I thought the project planning form was just a form with some dates when to pick a subject, submit the first draft, second draft etc.
  • Londina
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    Are you sure those are mandatory? Because it sounds to me like the knowledge and understanding questions from your book, which are just there to see if you understood what you just read.

I haven't seen those questions anywhere myself yet.

And I thought the project planning form was just a form with some dates when to pick a subject, submit the first draft, second draft etc.

Exactly, this is my point, I got these 3 forms and I don't know if they are compulsory:

1)Project Planning form with list of all elements to be completed
    2)Unit evidence summary form
    3)Knowledge and understanding questions form

I know for sure the 2nd one is the most important one, whist the other too I dont really know!My provider gave me those!!
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Londina

From previous posts, I gather that you are studying with Kaplan - the same as me.

All three of the forms you have stated have to be completed.

1. Project Planning Form has to be completed first. Basically the answers you put into this form helps you write the project, and it ensures that you cover all the mapping that is required.

2. Unit evidence summary form - this is the AAT form where you show the mapping. Basically you state which paragraph (how ever you choose to number your project) that particular unit detail is. This is so the assessor can see if you have covered all of the points. I thought the same as you, in that you are duplicating the work - which you will be!

3. Knowledge & Understanding questions is to be completed once you have read the study text book that Kaplan supply with the unit pack. Most questions are answered in the book - others common sense.

I hope this helps. When I received the Unit 10 pack from Kaplan I also found that it is not very well explained and I had to call them to ask questions - once answered it is all straight forward - but it would help if they explained what they wanted from you more clearer.

You will then have a final exit questionnaire to complete once your project is deemed competent from the Kaplan assessor - this is a word document and not a telephone interview like other training providers carry out (well it was for me anyway). The project then goes off to AAT for final assessment. Kaplan only report to AAT once a month, and mine missed it by a day! so I have to wait until the end of this month for it to appear on my record of achievement - even though I finished it and was deemed competent mid March.
  • Londina
    Options
    Hi Londina

3. Knowledge & Understanding questions is to be completed once you have read the study text book that Kaplan supply with the unit pack. Most questions are answered in the book - others common sense.

I hope this helps. When I received the Unit 10 pack from Kaplan I also found that it is not very well explained and I had to call them to ask questions - once answered it is all straight forward - but it would help if they explained what they wanted from you more clearer.

Many thanks Mini_Schnauzer! So there is also a text book to study!!I thought it was only a guide, didn't expect to have also a compulsory questionnaire to be answered and attached to your study record!! my god, what a shock, this unit is endless!! :-/

True that Kaplan didn't explain this properly >:-(
  • citrus_sharp
    citrus_sharp Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I need a bit of help!! What am i meant to write about about planning work activities???
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I need a bit of help!! What am i meant to write about about planning work activities???

PC10.1A Plan work activities to make the optimum use of resources and to ensure that work is completed within agreed timescales

If I was writing about a Purchase Ledger Clerk, I would write about a couple of work activities from the following list, that need to complted by.............say Mid morning?

Purchase Ledger clerk – Job Description

You will be an important part of the team, responsible for dealing with
    • invoice queries,
    • processing invoices,
    • subsequently coding the invoices,
    • batching them together into relevant cost codes
    • checking accuracy of invoice value
    • bacs and chap payments
    • compiling spreadsheets
    • processing of purchase invoices on to the computerized system
    • provide an effective payment service and to ensure that all monies are correctly and promptly posted to customers
    • responsible for matching a high volume of invoices to purchase orders and delivery notes and ensuring invoices are authorized for payment
    • Liase with other departments
    • Ensure accurate and timely recording and posting of purchase invoices
    • Assist with the reconciliation of suppliers accounts with statements.
    • To act as the point of contact for customers
    • Liase with customers to ensure all queries over purchase orders and invoices (quantities and price) are resolved in a timely manner.
    • To liase with ledger supervisor to ensure all invoices are authorised on a timely basis and queries resolved
    • the control and quality of processes,
    • staff training,
    • payment runs,
    • communicating with vendors and overall
    • acting as a business partner for the Payable function.

Try this link as well

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=19415&highlight=typical+purchase+ledger
  • Londina
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can find the "assessment plan" in order to plan and schedule my work?
Privacy Policy