Job Application

Options
Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have applied for a job in practice which involves working in the audit and assurance office. What is the assurance part??

Does anyone know? Steve?

It is quite a senior role with a study package as well.

Comments

  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Anyone?
  • cornflower
    cornflower Registered Posts: 129 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Glynis wrote: »

    Does anyone know? Steve?
    .

    Does it ever occur to you that sometimes, just sometimes, Steve might get just a little fed up of your constant demands. Why don't you try doing your own research. Next you'll be expecting Steve to attend the interview for you.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Your best bet is to call the company to find out.

    Otherwise, if you haven't done that already, have a look on their website, I think it is largely dependant on the company, but they would usually list it on their website as services.

    Do you know what study they offer as part of their study package?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    How senior is the role?

    Do you mean you are going to be an Audit Senior?
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    From my studies, I learnt that an "audit" is a type of assurance engagement - one that offers reasonable, positive assurance as to the truth and fairness of a set of accounts.

    There are other types of assurance engagement (eg reviews of old accounts or of prospective financial information) that only offer a limited negative assurance.

    So by working in "Audit and Assurance" you would be expected to be doing statutory audit as your main job, but there may be other engagements that are completed using different evidence-gathering methods.

    Hope this helps
  • Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Glynis wrote: »
    I have applied for a job in practice which involves working in the audit and assurance office. What is the assurance part??

    Does anyone know? Steve?

    It is quite a senior role with a study package as well.
    Hi Glynis,

    When applying for roles it is essential you know what you are applying for.

    I find it quite bizarre, bordering on amusing, that you have applied for a role which contains a word that you don't know anything about and haven't even dared "Google".

    If it is indeed quite a senior role, I expect they may require someone who has a vague understanding of what they are applying for!

    Steve's home telephone number is 999, so try giving that a bell and see what they suggest.

    All the best,

    Ed.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If you don't know what audit and assurance work entails then you should not have applied for the job.

    There is no way you are going to get a senior position in practice with no experience in a practice environment.

    I really think you need to be realistic Glynnis.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My thoughts exactly..

    This is the second time you've attended interviews for senior roles whch require experience in practice..

    Although you have worked for years etc it's in a different role.. I really think you'll struggle to get anything above a juniors/trainees post.. Which will, in reality also mean a salary drop.

    Good luck though.
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have worked for about 30.years in an accounts environment. I am not prepared to start at the bottom again. Surely practice employers understand this.
    I am amazed at how demotivating some people can be on these forums. Surely its not a crime to want to better yourself.

    Cornflower has steve said he is fed up with answering my questions? Has he said something to you? The forums are here to ask questions and receive help.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    What is it you've done for 30 years?

    Do you know the ins and outs of FRSSE, FRS's, IAS's etc? Do you know the correct disclosure required in a set of accounts?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I've worked in practice for 7 years (albeit part time) and have qualified during that time. However I would not apply for that job for the simple reason that I have no auditing experience - all our clients are below the audit threshold.

    You say you are not prepared to start from the bottom and I understand why you say that but if you look at it from an employers point of view, why should they take you rather than someone who has no qualification but auditing experience? I think that's the question you should be looking to over come in any interview you may have.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Glynis if you don't want to start at the bottom you might be better off applying for accounts only roles to begin with, with the AAT behind you and your experience of preparing accounts (although in an industry role) you wouldn't be unjustified applying for semi-senior positions.

    If you can secure a semi-senior position in practice in accounts only to begin with but make it clear in your interview that you are very interested in audit then they may let you do some audit work so you'd be a semi-senior in accounts but a junior in audit, if that's any consellation.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    For somebody who is supposed to have 30 years experience it rather seems to have left you none the wiser.

    Glynnis why do you think you can start a career in audit without any experience and start at a senior level? That is very arrogant and disrespectful to those who are trained professionals who have had to start at the bottom and work upwards.

    Look at this analogy. If I were working in a supermarket as a cashier for 30 years and then decided I was going to apply for a newly opened position as store manager would I be an acceptable candidate? No, of course I wouldn't be because even though I'd worked for the supermarket for 30 years I still would not have the skills and experience necessary to fulfill the job role.

    There are many people struggling to achieve their ambitions in a very tight and competitive jobs market, myself included, and start the ACCA without employer financial support.

    From what you have said so far in your posts I would personally quit the moaning and focus on your job and studies because ACCA is a different level to AAT and if you don't show the appropriate respect and commitment to it then it will give you a very serious kick up the behind come exam time.
  • Marg22
    Marg22 Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    If you have 30 years experience in an accounts environment then you must be about 46. Ask yourself if an accountancy practice is going to take someone on at this age who has never worked for this type of company and I think you will come to a realistic conclusion of no. You would need friends in practice who could get you in.

    I think you should think about what you have got rather than what you have not. For starters you have a job, which so many people have not. You are training for accountant status, so if you don't like the job you have know apply for a better job in industry.

    Be happy with what you have got, because what you are wishing for may not be your cup of tea when you get it.

    Marg
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    "If you have 30 years experience in an accounts environment then you must be about 46. Ask yourself if an accountancy practice is going to take someone on at this age who has never worked for this type of company and I think you will come to a realistic conclusion of no."

    Careful - sounds abit ageist...
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Glynis wrote: »
    I have worked for about 30.years in an accounts environment. I am not prepared to start at the bottom again. Surely practice employers understand this.

    Trust me, I work in practice and definately practice employers will not understand this.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Londina wrote: »
    Trust me, I work in practice and definately practice employers will not understand this.

    Glynis WHY do you keep doing this to yourself?

    Practice employers employ on the basis of experience for the job applying for. A senior audit assurance will have many years experience in the field - not just general accounts dogsbody which is the experience you have. (This is not a negative just not suitable for the position you are applying for).
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Guys.. stop being so negative towards the poor woman!

    There's nothing wrong with aiming your sights high and applying for jobs slightly out of your reach. Attending interviews is good practice and I'm sure the potential employer will then judge if you can fulfil the role or not.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Esme wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with aiming your sights high and applying for jobs slightly out of your reach.

    Yes Esme, there is nothing wrong, however you need also to be realistic!! The chances that you might get a senior position in a different type of company without having the experience are so little, not impossible, however very very difficult!!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Esme wrote: »
    Guys.. stop being so negative towards the poor woman!

    There's nothing wrong with aiming your sights high and applying for jobs slightly out of your reach. Attending interviews is good practice and I'm sure the potential employer will then judge if you can fulfil the role or not.

    Yup but last time she applied for a managerial role and got told her experience was not suitable. Then when offered a more junior role she basically looked down her nose at them...

    Not good tbh..
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    When are WE ever going to learn that Glynis is not interested in our advice about whether or not she should be applying for a position, she's not ever going to take any notice of it.

    I think somewhere in this thread is the answer to her opening post, so why start a debate?

    And damn, I have now contributed to her little game, which I told myself I wouldn't do.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I'm moving into audit after 'end of year' - I'll be the youngest at 39 as they're all over 50, & TBH I'm a bit worried about being regarded & brushed off as a youngster by alot of the accountants. If Glynis is a stickler for things tying up precisely she'll be suited to the job, but I bet I'll be missing budget analysis in a couple of months!
Privacy Policy