Bank mortgage references

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I know both Abbey and HSBC are now only accepting mortgage references from chartered accountants.

It's rather frustrating as providing mortgage references is a fundamental part of annual work (even if only needed occasionally) and if a client finds the work we have done is 'unacceptable' then there is a high chance they will move elsewhere.

Has anyone else run into these problems and do you know if the AAT is doing anything about it?

I have mailed the MiP team to find out, but was wondering what other members' experiences were.

Thanks.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I recently answered an AAT questionnaire on this. I was then speaking with someone from the AAT the other day about my answers and the progress being made.

Signs seem ok and the main one being worked on is the Abbey (Santander).

It seems as though we may have to agree to supply copy Tax Returns. In my eyes it is not ideal but as you say it does not look good if our work is deemed not acceptable. So it's better than nothing.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Hasan.Ahmet
    Hasan.Ahmet Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    This subject came up many a time before.
    Does it call for a response of some sort from the secretariat.
    May be someone more interested in subjects of this nature should stand for election to the council.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I spoke to member services about this issue last year (and again recently as a result of the questionnaire).

I think the AAT are doing all they can to come to an agreement with Abbey but I cannot see it happening any time soon as their is no motive on their part.

I would recommend finding a friendly chartered accountant who is happy to sign off on your behalf. That's what I do.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks for the responses folks :)
    I would recommend finding a friendly chartered accountant who is happy to sign off on your behalf. That's what I do.

Yep same as. But it's the principle of the thing!! ;-)
Privacy Policy