DFS Cash Flows

Options
CrazySexyCool
CrazySexyCool Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all

Why does the profit on the disposal of a fixed asset get taken away from the profit from ops?

Comments

• Jimmyboy1888
    Jimmyboy1888 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi, which question/paper you doing ?
    I would have thought profit would be shown as additional income and a loss shown in the distribtion costs or other expenses ?
    Hopefully someone with knowledge can help. Can't get my head round this shism !
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi all

Why does the profit on the disposal of a fixed asset get taken away from the profit from ops?

Because in cash flows it deals with just cash. The 'profit' is calculated using the purchase price less depreciation (net book value). If the income from the sale is higher than the NBV then you have made a 'profit'

However, seen as depreciation is a non cash flow item, the 'profit' needs to be removed.

Hope this helps xx
  • Jimmyboy1888
    Jimmyboy1888 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thx from me !
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Think of the profit/loss on disposal of non-current assets as a 'paper' entry. In cash flow statement terms (or the statement of cash flows) the profit/loss on disposal is only ever a 'paper' entry - it isn't a realistic loss/profit on disposal. Only ever use the disposal proceeds in a statement of cash flows because this primary statement displays how an entity has generated and spent cash in the reporting period.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Think of the profit/loss on disposal of non-current assets as a 'paper' entry. In cash flow statement terms (or the statement of cash flows) the profit/loss on disposal is only ever a 'paper' entry - it isn't a realistic loss/profit on disposal. Only ever use the disposal proceeds in a statement of cash flows because this primary statement displays how an entity has generated and spent cash in the reporting period.

Best wishes
    Steve

I wish I had your way with words Steve! Hopefully the AAT'ers knew what I meant :-)
  • CrazySexyCool
    CrazySexyCool Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That's been really helpful!
Privacy Policy