SA Surcharge

Options
Rachel
Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello

I have a client who I advised in good time of the amount they needed to pay for their SA and they didn't pay and now have had a surcharge added. They want me to write to HMRC as they didn't get a letter from even though I told them how much to pay and appeal the surcharge. They received copies of everything I filed and agreed. I am relucant to appeal but they are my client.

Does anyone think I have any chance with the appeal?

Thanks

Rachel

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Rachel wrote: »
    Does anyone think I have any chance with the appeal?

No. It's a waste of time and money.

It's self assessment. They don't send you a bill. There is enough advertising about the 31 Jan deadline, and you told them it needed to be done. It really is their own fault and I can't see HMRC viewing it any differently at all.

Tell them you will appeal if they really want but do charge them for it.
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thank you, I am quite new to all this and it seems that some clients expect the world of you.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    No probs. Yes, some of them do!

One year I had a chap say he hadn't paid it because he was waiting for HMRC to confirm the figures I had prepared but they never sent him a bill.....!!!!

Also put it in writing why you don't think the appeal is worth it, and why they had every chance to pay it on time. Put everything in writing. It's a very good habit to get into if you haven't already! :)
Privacy Policy