Taxable income

Options
LouiseR
LouiseR Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
Does anyone know if the DWP recruitment subsidy is taxable income for corporation tax purposes?

HMRC are constantly engage at the moment!

Thanks

Louise

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don't know the answer, but just thought I would mention the priority telephone lines - didn't know if you are using one of those - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/workingtogether/priority-lines-list.htm. Good luck!
  • LouiseR
    Options
    Thanks, I've just got through and they don't know! It's being referred to an inspector. I'll post once I've found out.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Louise

I think there are different types of subsidy at the moment. One is for long term JSA which is £60 per week, the other is around £1000 paid part on starting the job and part if the employee is still in employment with the same employer for (I think) six months.

From an accounting persective I would not treat this as "other income" but as a reduction in wages because it isn't "income" it is a wages subsidy.

To answer your question directly; yes it's taxable. Think of it this way, if you had an employee for twelve months and paid them £1,000 the company's net cost would be zero. The company will have been more productive and hopefully produced more sales - hence more tax payable.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    You might also like to check the "devil in the detail" also. If there are any 'terms' you may have to account for it under "government grants" - however, I suspect not.
  • LouiseR
    Options
    Dean wrote: »

To answer your question directly; yes it's taxable. Think of it this way, if you had an employee for twelve months and paid them £1,000 the company's net cost would be zero. The company will have been more productive and hopefully produced more sales - hence more tax payable.

Thanks Dean, yes that was my conclusion after speaking with a not so helpful HMRC inspector!
Privacy Policy