Have you come across this before

Options
mc25
mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi, I submitted one of my clients VAT return in Jan and thy were due for a VAT repayment of around 6k but HMRC only send a chq for abour 3k, has anyone come across this. I have been trying to ring them most of the time yesterday but i keep on getting the message "am sorry we are all busy at the moment of you can try later" .... so might try again today to see what they will say.

Comments

• BCASL
    BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    We had a similar problem for the same period (to Dec 09). Our client was due a refund of ยฃ900 and he only received a CHEQUE for ยฃ600, even though HMRC had bank details from previous VAT returns and had successfully taken direct debits, so there was no reason not to refund direct to the bank. Even more mysterious was that the clients bank account details have now dissappeared, from his record, so these details now have to be re-submitted!
    I would be interested to hear if other people have had similar problems?
  • mc25
    Options
    Very interesting, I can't wait to hear what explaination they will give me as there is a diff of about 3k on the one am dealing with.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    mc25 I was also trying all day yesterday to get through on the VAT line and was getting exactly the same message, have tried this morning and got through! Give em a go.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've not heard of this before - be interested to hear what the explanation is!
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    A sign of the UK plc having a Cash flow problem!

Especially of you are getting the message "am sorry we are all busy at the moment of you can try later"
  • mc25
    Options
    This is just unbelieveable, just tried hmrc again sat of all the days and still its saying we are busy I am going to give it one more shot on Mon if no luck a letter will have to do.
  • mc25
    Options
    Finally

Hi all,

Sorry took so long to let you know about the above issue. I ended up writing to HMRC as I couldn't get through to them on phone. It was an error from their end. they said. Typicall, here it was me panicking and wondering what went wrong. They said their computer system pick up a VAT figure from 08 which was reflecting as not paid and that is why they deducted the difference. They are meant to be sending the other cheque through but I still haven't received it.

Thanks
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    mc25 wrote: ยป
    Hi all,

They said their computer system pick up a VAT figure from 08 which was reflecting as not paid and that is why they deducted the difference. They are meant to be sending the other cheque through but I still haven't received it.

Thanks

Gives you confidence in computers :)
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We are just getting so fed up with ringing the VAT helpline and them saying they don't have the 64-8 - even though we sent it in a year ago. It seems that any 64-8 that go to the local office i.e. limited company's aren't being properly captured!!

Then they say well can you get the client to ring - it's just taken us a week to get through!!!!
  • mc25
    Options
    Its a night mare trying to talk to those guys. you know what else is very interesting. I did a VAt return on the 19 May and 0n the 26 May I received the cheque through for the repayment. I couldn't believe that, but still I haven't received the balance they underpaid what can you say to that?? I am giving them a week if I haven't actually received the cheque I will contact them again.

Typicall of HMRC and what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We are just getting so fed up with ringing the VAT helpline and them saying they don't have the 64-8 - even though we sent it in a year ago. It seems that any 64-8 that go to the local office i.e. limited company's aren't being properly captured!!

Then they say well can you get the client to ring - it's just taken us a week to get through!!!!

On a simular note be aware anyone trying to get in touch over PAYE it is now all been centralised to Newcastle and having a nightmare there too trying to contact any office
Privacy Policy