Fixed asset question

mini_schnauzer
mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello

We have some scientific equipment (entered as a fixed asset) that has to have a yearly calibration to ensure that the equipment is inline with the BSI standards etc for scientific measurements.

We have had the first calbriation at a cost of over £350. Does the calibration cost go as a business expense or add to the fixed asset?

I'm thinking business expense, but just want to check.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I would have thought this counts as running expenses/repairs/maintenance and is therefore revenue not capital.

The initial calibration cost (if there was one) would be capitalised, as it's getting the asset ready for use, but subsequent costs are just running expenses, same as getting your car serviced.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Monsoon wrote: »
    I would have thought this counts as running expenses/repairs/maintenance and is therefore revenue not capital.

The initial calibration cost (if there was one) would be capitalised, as it's getting the asset ready for use, but subsequent costs are just running expenses, same as getting your car serviced.

Agree! Most definitely a maintenance cost
    Regards,

Burg
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Many thanks for your quick replies.
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    so would that be under code 7800 in sage or there abouts??? just wanted to double check my thinking!
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    yes there abouts
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy