Payrise

Options
messedup89
messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Has anyone had the COL increase yet this year or a payrise for passing exams or aat?

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    No, won't get a rise for passing, or at least, I don't expect one, as I was the one who wanted to do it and my work was less than supportive.

We haven't heard anything about a salary increase, while normally it would have been announced somewhere in March. Last year at least the finance director announced in person to our department there wouldn't be any raises, due to the recession.
    It was announced over the whole company by the directors, on the same day.

Now nothing :-(

Still wonder if that means we won't get anything or that they want to surprise us with a nice raise each. Although I expect the first.
  • messedup89
    Options
    wow thats really bad!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    on 3rd year and hopefully finish this sitting but never had an increase for passing exams
  • Rinske
    Options
    How about you? Did you get a raise this year or lasts?

Did your work give you a raise for passing the AAT before moving on to ACCA?
  • messedup89
    Options
    We've just got a 1K rise for passing AAT (just started ACCA). We got 1k last year for continuing studying with them. The COL this year is 1.5%, was 2.5% i think last year?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If your studies are employer sponsored and they'll get the benefit of them, then a pay rise should be due otherwise the answer will be no. If you were a cake maker and an employee did a self-paid course in 3D graphic design, would you necessarily reward them?

As for cost of living salary increases, many employers are not giving them. We might well be forced to pay more for public services but when it comes to buying manufactured or 'essential' products for ourselves, we want to progressively pay less and less and the cutbacks have to be made somewhere.
  • messedup89
    Options
    If your studies are employer sponsored and they'll get the benefit of them, then a pay rise should be due otherwise the answer will be no. If you were a cake maker and an employee did a self-paid course in 3D graphic design, would you necessarily reward them?

As for cost of living salary increases, many employers are not giving them. We might well be forced to pay more for public services but when it comes to buying manufactured or 'essential' products for ourselves, we want to progressively pay less and less and the cutbacks have to be made somewhere.

our employer is funding our aat and acca/cima courses
  • Rinske
    Options
    Lucky you! Have you got a spare job for little me in Bournemouth?

I did get a letter of congratulations when I finished level 3, does that count?
  • messedup89
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Lucky you! Have you got a spare job for little me in Bournemouth?

I did get a letter of congratulations when I finished level 3, does that count?

lol more than we got. But we did get a card signed by most of the company when we finished level 4 :)
  • stenning73
    stenning73 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    No payrise for me

Hi everyone

I just thought I would add my comments on this thread.
    I completed my AAT last year and didn't get a payrise at all and no cards or anything. Just my Line Manager saying Well done.
  • stenning73
    stenning73 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    No pay rise for me

And I was sponsored by my employer, and i am also at the top of my salary scale so won't get any increases at all or COL increase.
  • sunshine2010
    sunshine2010 Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    none :(

We have not had a cost of living increase for 3 years now !!

also no increase for passing any exams - however was told i would get some kind of bonus when i complete level 4 - roll on june....

x
  • timwright116
    timwright116 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Whoaaa that is really bad, I get a payrise for each leval I complete. My employer is funding my course but it was idea and choice to start AAT. There have been no other pay rises within the company, unless you get a promotion or you feel you are not paid accordingly within the current market.

Although previous employers I've had are not so supportive, these things happen.... I suppose in this current economic climate theres not much point in arguing with the amount of people looking for jobs etc.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I had a 4% rise this year. Was very surprised as there had been no pay rises for 3 years. I was very grateful.

Speegs
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I've had no percentage pay rise this year but had a 3k rise for taking on extra work and will get a further 3k for passing exams (fingers crossed) I hadn't had a payrise since starting the course 3 years ago however.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I got a payrise for exam passes but not had a COL increase, although they normally come through in the June salaries.

I'll be hopefully getting a decent wage rise also when I complete AAT (August)
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i have not had a pay rise of any description for about 4 years now, becasue we have germans who work with us, thy have to have it all agreed by the unions, not just the employer, and as they have a higher wage, they will pay more tax which they cannot agrre on. so as our employer cannot just give us brits a payrise, they dont negotiate withe the unions, they just let the germans have their way.

i did get an xmas bonus though - an xmas card in February - gee thanks!!!

Makes it all worthwhile - NOT

Tracy
  • ykwong1978
    ykwong1978 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I had 0.5% COL last August lol. Although I did get 5% the previous year, and around ยฃ500 increment each year
  • goldring
    goldring Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Esme wrote: ยป
    I've had no percentage pay rise this year but had a 3k rise for taking on extra work and will get a further 3k for passing exams (fingers crossed) I hadn't had a payrise since starting the course 3 years ago however.

omg,
    3+3 would almost be more than i earn a year
  • Beth
    Beth Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Most companies are in financial difficulties at the moment so I guess we just have to be grateful to have a job! Also, good thing about working in accounts is you get to see the companies statements etc and so you kind of know whether they're in a position to offer you a payrise or not.

Easiest way to get a payrise if your company is being difficult is to get a new job :-)
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Beth wrote: ยป
    Easiest way to get a payrise if your company is being difficult is to get a new job :-)

Yeah that worked for my friend - she applied for somewhere else that was better money and would pay for her course, and when she gave her notice in they bettered the other salary offer and will pay for whatever course she wanted after AAT!

Talk about feeling needed!!
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Employers do not have to give big pay rises as they know that if an employee is not happy and leaves there are plenty of other people that will fill the slot.

In this day and age it is all about supply and demand with jobs, and there are loads of people looking for work that will accept that they will be paid low to get experience and exams behind them, and qualified.
Privacy Policy