Director has done a runner - help!

Dottie
Dottie Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
I have a client who has done a runner owing me and lots of people money, including HMRC. The company has changed its registered address to my address (I did not give him permission) with HMRC but not with Companies House (I thought HMRC would not change the address without it being changed at Companies House first?) and today I have received a demand for the o/s corporation tax. I have asked HMRC to remove him from my client list.

Apart from filing the accounts, I have also done the PAYE. Can I file this to HMRC without the director's permission? It seems unfair that tax and nic have been deducted from wages and if I don't file the Annual Return, HMRC will not have a record of this. I have also discovered that he only paid the first quarters PAYE. Am I surprised?!

Dottie

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    So, not a good start to the week.
  • SLM
    SLM Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Sorry Dottie but I couldn't help find PGM's reply amusing!

Other than that I am afraid I'm not too sure what the best thing to do is!
  • Dottie
    Dottie Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    No not the best!
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Don't think I would file the P35 as you cannot prove he agrees to it. Plus do you really want to do more work that you won't get paid for?

You need to think about making a MLR report though? May be give AAT support line a call for clarification on your position.

The address with HMRC will only be a correspondence address. I would write and advise them that you have ceased to act for the client as they are no longer contactable by any means you have and request that HMRC use the Companies Registered Office for all future correspondence.

Out of interest how do you know they have done a runner? Giving any benefit of the doubt are they un-contactable for some genuine reason?
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy