How can I remember all of IAS .

Options
exam panic
exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Any one here has a good method to remember those thing ? to share with me only 3 weeks to go but I don't have a clude of ias.

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You don't need to know them, as long as you can remember the key parts of the standards you'll be fine!
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I wrote a list of each one with main point/s - that could help your brain then link to other stuff you know but you don't know you know!! Doing it in colour may help too...
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Not advised but i tried learning them but couldn't even get the basics.
    So i didn't bother learning them. I concentrated on all the other questions.
    Cashflows, I/S, SFP, Ratios and the definitions of the items in the financial statements.
    When it came to the exam in december i couldn't answer the IAS question but i did quite well on the other things so they more than made up for my 0 attempt at answering the IAS and i passed!
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Look at all of the Written questions on past papers relating to IAS's and learn the answers. You don't need to know the numbers of them, just the key points.
  • Holly
    Holly Registered Posts: 16 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I too am having similar worries but have you tried www.headmagnet.com?

If you set up a user account you can then devise your own tests to help you revise. So for instance, I have put in a question 'What is included in IAS 18'? And it keeps testing you.

You put the answers in as well so you can see if you got in right or not. I am finding it useful and it also breaks up the monotony of revising too
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Any one here has a good method to remember those thing ? to share with me only 3 weeks to go but I don't have a clude of ias.

When I gave my exams I played the attached Domino game.

It'a a question and answer matching game.

Play it twice a day every day until exams and you will have sufficent IAS knowledge to attempt and pass the DFS exam questions.

This is a very brief outline of IAS but you will need to learn in more detail for ACCA.

Good Luck with your exams.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Thanks Esme & SDV!
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    SDV- What do you do with this game? Are you meant to cut them all out?
  • sdv
    Options
    Esme wrote: ยป
    SDV- What do you do with this game? Are you meant to cut them all out?

Print the PDF file

from page 3 to 7 you have Domino slates

Cut them off

You shold have 24 Strips (slates)

on the Lefthand side of the slate are answers to question

and on the Righthand side of the sales are the questions.

Mix all the slates (strips of the paper)

Find a slate that says "Start Here".

Read the question on the righthand side of that slate and find the Answering slate from the pile of the slates. Look on the lefthand side of slate for the answer

Once you have found the answer - join that with the "start here" slate and read the question on the second slate; find the answer slate from the plate .............and so on

If you get stuck you can always read the answers from page 1 and 2 off the print outs.

Hope this helps
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Can i say something and it might upset a few people but dont get hung up on the standards after all its just a few marks and if you just understand them rather than try to say them word for word.

I sat the december exam and made a total hash of the standard question and i mean badly answered and dont think i picked up any points however still passed the exam :)
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Can i say something and it might upset a few people but dont get hung up on the standards after all its just a few marks and if you just understand them rather than try to say them word for word.

I sat the december exam and made a total hash of the standard question and i mean badly answered and dont think i picked up any points however still passed the exam :)

I agree. The question isn't going to be 'What is IAS 38?' or 'List all the IAS's' or anything!!!! They'll give you something to go on, so a brief look up on the examinable IRS's could be enough for the DFS exam. If you plan to go further with your studies and you have looked at then in detail then it will give you a huge advantage in ACCA or equivalent. But I wouldnt lose any sleep over them for DFS.

If you look at the past questions for the IAS's from the DFS papers do you think you can answer them briefly? I bet most people can.
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    standard

I know you have to do the main part but this little thing you have to do as well. you can't answer Britain got talent ,or football on them.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I know you have to do the main part but this little thing you have to do as well. you can't answer Britain got talent ,or football on them.

Thats what I said, just learn a brief description of the examinable ones.
  • sdv
    Options
    sdv wrote: ยป
    When I gave my exams I played the attached Domino game.

It'a a question and answer matching game.

Play it twice a day every day until exams and you will have sufficent IAS knowledge to attempt and pass the DFS exam questions.

This is a very brief outline of IAS but you will need to learn in more detail for ACCA.

Good Luck with your exams.

I noticed that there are 71 downloads of this game.

Has this game helped you to remember your IASs basic principles?

a feedback would be appriciated from those who have played the Domino game.

thanks
  • claire~thomas
    claire~thomas Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I have used it and it works well. Even passed on to my tutor who in turn gave it out to all the DFS students at college to help them too.

Claire
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I think it works well - uses a different learning perspective.
  • sdv
    Options
    I have used it and it works well. Even passed on to my tutor who in turn gave it out to all the DFS students at college to help them too.

Claire
    I think it works well - uses a different learning perspective.

Thank you for your feedback

I am glad that the domino game had helped you and others.
    IAS is a very dry subject but it has to be learnt for a rounded accounting knowledge.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    When i took this paper a few years back, to remeber the IAS's I put the IAS name and number on a some card and the keys points on a separate card. Then I played cards. By matching up the standard to the key points it only took about a day for the points to stick.
  • rosetta3107
    rosetta3107 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I have to admit I'm reassured by those who have said they made no attempt to answer these questions, or answered them but felt convinced they got no marks.

I accept that these standards etc can't be 'taught' as such - it is up to us to learn them but at the college I attend there has been no attempt by the tutor whatsoever during the course even to discuss them. We have spent weeks practising the 'numbers' part of past papers but as far as the IASs are concerned it has simply been a case of handing out a print out of the model answer and being told to read it. No discussions, no explanations, nothing.

The chief assessor referred in his report on the December 09 paper to 'standards overload' and seemed to suggest that the students were at fault for not learning the standards. May I respectfully suggest that tutors should make more effort to integrate standards into their lesson plans so that we aren't looking, as the opening post suggested, for quick fixes with less than three weeks to go?
  • SophieC
    SophieC Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Where is the attachment for the Domino's style game? I'm really struggling and think this would help
  • charlotte1203
    charlotte1203 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Can someone please send me the domino game? I can't see the attachment anywhere
Privacy Policy