Choosing optional Units

Options
Sparkly
Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
It may seem strange a couple of weeks before exams to be trying to decide what units to do next, but due to the changes to the qualification I have to get my order in quick for my final set of books!

I'm trying to decide which of the optional units to do from Implementing Audit Procedures (IAP), Preparing business tax computations (BTC) and Preparing personal tax computation (PTC).

Any advise/comments/ opinions from you guys of your experiences of these modules, or what helped you decide, would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance :)

Comments

• SLM
    SLM Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I chose BTC and PTC - well worth doing together as the coursework overlaps each other. I work for an accountancy firm and from having to prepare business tax computations and personal tax returns thought this was the best option for me. I actually feel these units have been the most beneficial out of the whole course. A lot of the other units were topics that I cannot relate to (for example costing etc), or already knew from my experience. A colleague the other day was talking about a capital gains tax issue, and rather than it just going right over the top of my head I actually knew what she was talking about and understood fully.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    SLM wrote: Β»
    I chose BTC and PTC - well worth doing together as the coursework overlaps each other. I work for an accountancy firm and from having to prepare business tax computations and personal tax returns thought this was the best option for me. I actually feel these units have been the most beneficial out of the whole course. A lot of the other units were topics that I cannot relate to (for example costing etc), or already knew from my experience. A colleague the other day was talking about a capital gains tax issue, and rather than it just going right over the top of my head I actually knew what she was talking about and understood fully.

Agreed. You'd find it easier doing both tax units!!
  • meibaker
    meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    i am doing business and personal exams at the same time this June!
    i heard auditing unit is quite hard!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    i actually found IAP to be alright. Didn't sit them but personal doing 2 tax papers would be harder and its more exams!
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    IAP wasn't too bad , especially since it only involved a skills test vs a exam. I also took BTC which I passed in December exams last year. My ultimate decision when deciding what units to take were based on where I wanted to go after AAT.....ACCA or ACA. Due to deciding in the end to go with ACCA due to lack of a training contract, I then chose the BTC and IAP so I can get my full exemptions. If you are going ACA and want full exemptions, you need the auditing and both tax units.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You get the 3 exemptions for ACCA regardless of which optional units you chose.
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    tigger37 wrote: Β»
    IAP wasn't too bad , especially since it only involved a skills test vs a exam. I also took BTC which I passed in December exams last year. My ultimate decision when deciding what units to take were based on where I wanted to go after AAT.....ACCA or ACA. Due to deciding in the end to go with ACCA due to lack of a training contract, I then chose the BTC and IAP so I can get my full exemptions. If you are going ACA and want full exemptions, you need the auditing and both tax units.

I did IAP and others have done the tax and not been exempt from them. U only get exempt from F1-F3
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I was told that for ACCA it doesn't matter what options you chose at AAT as you will still be exempt from the same units of ACCA.

I did Cash Management and PTC, both relatively straight forward!
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I think you need to decide what you want to do when you've completed AAT and see what exemptions you want.

I took both tax options and found learning those subjects quite straightforward - everything is so black and white with tax, and the exam papers give you all the allowances/rates, etc at the beginning.

I'm planning on going onto ATT, so will get exemption from Business Tax, having done this with AAT.

You really need to decide what YOU want to do and tailor your options to maximise your potential/reduce what you need to study at next level - if this is what you want to do! If you are planning on being an auditor then take IAP, if you do not want to study anymore and wish to set up as MIP then it would be handy to have a grounding in the taxes.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy