Overpaid tax through PAYE

111beckstar111 Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi can anyone help?

I have overpaid tax through my PAYE as I didn't get my P45 in soon enough when commencing work for a new company therefore, they taxed me at basic rate. I keep on chasing the HMRC for it but seem to be getting no where. They have said to me they will investigate if it's not sorted by the end of June but I have heard this all before... Can anyone recommend anything? I'm going on holiday soon so would be really helpful if I could get it asap.

Thanks guys


  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    I know that HMRC have put in a new system and they have had a load of problems with raising tax code notices.

    If I was in your situation, I'd ensure that HMRC have you listed as an employee for your current employer and your last employer has removed you from their employee records (a P45 can be raised, but unless HMRC have been told they are still likely to keep you on BR tax code!), then asking them the current wait for a notice to be revealed. At any normal time, it takes about 4-6 weeks (depending on how often payroll is run).

    Other than that... I can't give you any more hope. Sorry.

    If it's this year though, you should be refunded in your next payslip (as long as your employer updates their records promptly).
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    you need to ring or write to them again and see what they will say. The other day I was dealing with a case, they issued a BR tax code to an employee and the employee rang me asking why he was paying that much tax I just told the employee I had a notice from HMRC to change his tax code, I advised the employee to ring them direct. When the employee rang them they said they made a mistake/error and issue the employee with another tax code within a period of 2 weeks.

    Good luck
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    When this happened to me a while back I sent them my own tax comp showing the overpayment and got a refund fairly quickly after that. Even if you manage to get hold of someone who can talk sense on the phone they'll still only tell you to write in with the details. So don't even bother with phoning them just do it all in writing.
Privacy Policy