Un-stapling exam papers ?

Options
anniem
anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I don't know if I'm the only one who struggles with the exam papers being stapled together?

I always tend to un-staple them and keep the staples in a safe place on my exam desk, then very carefully (as it's tricky) push the staples back through the little holes to put it back together afterwards!!! No, honestly I do!

I know it sounds like I'm completely daft, but I really struggle with turning all the pages back and forth to double check/utilise the correct information.

What do other people do?

Is there any rule that says I can't treasury tag my exam paper instead, because what I really want to do is rip it down the fold and have individual A4 sheets that I can separate to work with!

Your comments, please:
FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Well, you're allowed to rip the ones with the ripping line, but I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to rip the rest, as long as you give them back in the right order. You could always ask the invigilator person to staple them for you?
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    We only have the tiniest of desks, so all my stuff ends up on the floor as it is. I do wish I could take them to bits though. BTW, I'm sooo jealous of you doing ATT, really fancy it myself but am doing the ACA route to get to CAT exams instead.
  • anniem
    Options
    Andypandy wrote: »
    We only have the tiniest of desks, so all my stuff ends up on the floor as it is. I do wish I could take them to bits though. BTW, I'm sooo jealous of you doing ATT, really fancy it myself but am doing the ACA route to get to CAT exams instead.

Andrea I think you're really lucky to be able to do ACA/CAT! I'm over 40 and wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance of finding somewhere to do ACA, plus I'd be practically retirable by the time I qualified :lol:

I'm half thinking about doing CIMA at the moment, but not sure if there are any rules regarding setting up on your own whilst a student, as I plan to become MIP as soon as I've passed these last 2 exams.

Can you do ACA/CAT simultaneously?
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Must be honest not heard of CAT before, but isn't it just the same as AAT?
  • anniem
    Options
    Oops - typo on my part. I meant CTA - Chartered Tax Adviser!

I read it quickly and guess that Andrea is planning on becoming a CTA not a cat (meow)! :lol:
  • jilt
    Options
    anniem wrote: »
    Oops - typo on my part. I meant CTA - Chartered Tax Adviser!

I read it quickly and guess that Andrea is planning on becoming a CTA not a cat (meow)! :lol:

Now I'm really confused, Andy thought you were doing ATT and she said she was doing CAT!!?

Have read it all again. Do you think Andy mean't to type AAT and that she is doing CAT instead to go onto ACCA?

God help me tomorrow lol
  • anniem
    Options
    jilt wrote: »
    Now I'm really confused, Andy thought you were doing ATT and she said she was doing CAT!!?

Have read it all again. Do you think Andy mean't to type AAT and that she is doing CAT instead to go onto ACCA?

God help me tomorrow lol

You'll be fine with numbers - this is all about letters.

No I do thing that after AAT Andrea is doing ACA and CTA, she'll let us know in a while when she's finished some more past exam questions, I'm sure!

My understanding is that CTA is Chartered Tax, whereas ATT is Assosication Tax Technicians, similar to the difference between AAT and ACCA/ACA, if that makes sense!
  • jilt
    Options
    You'll be fine with numbers - this is all about letters.

No I do thing that after AAT Andrea is doing ACA and CTA, she'll let us know in a while when she's finished some more past exam questions, I'm sure!

My understanding is that CTA is Chartered Tax, whereas ATT is Assosication Tax Technicians, similar to the difference between AAT and ACCA/ACA, if that makes sense!

So she typed ATT instead of AAT and CAT instead of CTA, glad its not just me then
  • anniem
    Options
    I am doing ATT Association of Tax Technicians next and plan to enrol for that to take exams next May.

I'll only need to take 3 exams, because AAT gives you exepmtion (for £75) from the business tax module.

I think you may have misunderstood Andrea's post, as it seems that she is doing ACA/CTA, but would prefer to do ATT.

Acronyms!!!!!
  • jilt
    Options
    I am doing ATT Association of Tax Technicians next and plan to enrol for that to take exams next May.

I'll only need to take 3 exams, because AAT gives you exepmtion (for £75) from the business tax module.

I think you may have misunderstood Andrea's post, as it seems that she is doing ACA/CTA, but would prefer to do ATT.

Acronyms!!!!!

Am doing ATT myself and then CTA hopefully, what option are you thinking of taking?
  • anniem
    Options
    Am doing ATT myself and then CTA hopefully, what option are you thinking of taking?

I thought VAT would probably be most useful.
  • jilt
    Options
    I thought VAT would probably be most useful.

am going to buiness tax higher skills but would like to do vat so may well do an extra one
  • Rinske
    Options
    I still haven't decided what study I'm going to do after AAT. Really need to start making my mind up...

You all seem to know so well what's next, specific to the unit already.
  • jilt
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    I still haven't decided what study I'm going to do after AAT. Really need to start making my mind up...

You all seem to know so well what's next, specific to the unit already.

I don't have age om side to hang about lol
  • Rinske
    Options
    Me neither, it's just that I can't make my mind up as usual!

And for some reason my work expects me to take a break from studying.
  • jilt
    Options
    Me neither, it's just that I can't make my mind up as usual!

And for some reason my work expects me to take a break from studying.

Could you not fund yourself? I have and done AAT by distance learning, although MAC my last one I've done by myself other than I emailed my tutor last week for an idiots guide to variances which he sent me.

I was just going to do ATT from the books, but I might check Tolleys again, cant remember how much they charged for distance learning, it may be sensible to use a learning provider we'll see
  • anniem
    Options
    I was just going to buy the books and learn from them. I've done AAT through distance learning and just hopped on a couple of revision courses for some of the subjects.

It's worked so far, so I figure that I might as well do it myself.

I know that ATT print/issue new books around October time for the following May/November sittings, which is why I was going to wait until then to start. I think with tax it's easiest to work with one set of rules than to fail an exam and have to re-take it all with new tax codes, which is what you have to do if you fail a tax exam in November and need to re-take in May! Same as AAT.
  • Rinske
    Options
    I funded AAT myself and want to happily fund the next parts myself and (have saved quite some money for it as well, so far), I just got troubles deciding what I want to do.

I am in doubt still between ACCA and CIMA and I'm tempted to do ACCA rather than CIMA, but as I don't work in practice or plan to work in practice, I'm not sure if CIMA would just be the better option.

Then again, from my studies so far I really liked financial accounts after it came together, but I also really liked the management accounts, so I was hoping to just be deciding on which I liked best from tech level and that didn't work out so far.
    Although the thing that bothered me was having to learn all the standards, so based on that ACCA is definitely not the right choice! I also think that PEV and PCR in the AAT is slightly easier then the DFS. No offense to anyone, just personal preference!

So I just don't know anymore. I am just worried if I pick one and then regret it later, due to the work I end up with and I'm quite sure I won't have the motivation to do one and then swap to the other or do both.... (even if you get loads of exemptions, still doesn't have any use to do both as far as I can tell.)

I still have the feeling ACCA gives more different options so I might be better off starting ACCA, but I'm also not sure, so I keep doubting whichever in my mind. I made my mind up to ACCA before and then changed it to CIMA and so far I have changed my mind about 12 times in the past year.... So I guess it just depends on the month of the year on what I go for...

If all else fails, I'll just end up flipping a coin I suppose.
  • jilt
    Options
    I was just going to buy the books and learn from them. I've done AAT through distance learning and just hopped on a couple of revision courses for some of the subjects.

It's worked so far, so I figure that I might as well do it myself.

I know that ATT print/issue new books around October time for the following May/November sittings, which is why I was going to wait until then to start. I think with tax it's easiest to work with one set of rules than to fail an exam and have to re-take it all with new tax codes, which is what you have to do if you fail a tax exam in November and need to re-take in May! Same as AAT.

Thats interesting, I had hpoed to sit one in November and two in May, not sure now.
  • anniem
    Options
    Thats interesting, I had hpoed to sit one in November and two in May, not sure now.

Have a look at the website and see what you think.

I was also looking forward to a brief respite from studying, although I have until the AAT exemption transfer deadline to decide whether or not to start CIMA in September.

Although that's going to cost about £350 to join up (including £45 each for 5 exemptions C01-C05 Certificate level), before buying any books/paying for exams, so not sure whether to put it on hold until after ATT.

It's all very well doing all this studying so that one day I'm rich, but at the moment I'm not and, even though it's very nice to play with ficticious £millions on ficticious balance sheets, they aren't mine! Pity ..... :lol:
  • Rinske
    Options
    It's all very well doing all this studying so that one day I'm rich, but at the moment I'm not and, even though it's very nice to play with ficticious £millions on ficticious balance sheets, they aren't mine! Pity ..... :lol:

I agree with this!

Hopefully one day we'll have it! Although if it just meant inflation went up through the roof, it won't really make us rich....
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Must be honest not heard of CAT before, but isn't it just the same as AAT?

There is a qualification called CAT cause before I started AAT I was looking at the different accounting qualifications and I opted to be a MAAT rather than a CAT!lol I can't remember now what it stood for but there is defo a qualification called that.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Wasn't it certified accounting technician? Which is the equivalent of AAT but then as a stepstone for ACCA?

http://www.accaglobal.com/join/cat/
  • jilt
    Options
    Wasn't it certified accounting technician? Which is the equivalent of AAT but then as a stepstone for ACCA?

http://www.accaglobal.com/join/cat/

Yep thats what I found on the ineternet
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sorry about the confusion, meant ACA then CTA:) Back to more past papers!
Privacy Policy