Taking on an apprentice

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi

We've been approached by a lovely 16 year old girl who's doing Business Studies Diploma and the accounting module has really grabbed her. She asked if we do apprenticeships.

As far as I can tell, the government fund her education (AAT) for 1 day a week, and we fund her wages.

I've never had experience of employing anyone of that age or at that basic level of learning. Have any of you any pearls of wisdom to share?

We're not at a point at the moment where we can afford it, but in a year's time we may well be. I guess the main question is how long is it before an apprentice would become a profit centre not a cost centre?

Thanks
M

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I started my Accounting career (in 1997) on a Modern apprenticeshipbefore it was MA it was the youth training scheme. I was actually employed by the train provider and they invoiced the company each week for my £40 wages. After a while I was employeed and my studies were still funded on the scheme. I know it is out of date but is there someone at her college you can talk to they are usually quite up to date.

Profit/cost centre obviously depends on type of person/wages cost etc but if I was in the position I would definately give it a go because that is how I started out.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Employers.aspx

Fairly good link for information
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Jenni,

I don't have experience of taking on any apprentices but I do have something that may be of interest to you.

When I got my first role in practice I was just at the end of intermediate. I had very limited practical experience (mainly of just having done some simple bookkeeping on Sage). As soon as I started I kept a record of my recovery rates and I currently have that document.

I shall PM you some details
    Regards,

Burg
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Jenni,

Found some info from the AAT here

http://www.aat.org.uk/employers/
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses folks, we have a while to think about it but all the extra info is useful, thanks for taking the time to reply :)
Privacy Policy