Who's the Steve or Sandy for MAC?

Options
jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I have just sat DFS and PTC and hoping to do MAC and BTC in December. Who is the God of MAC on here so I know who to bombard all my questions to when I get started? :001_smile:

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    All Hail Sandy Hood the god of MAC
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We have Steve for Fiancial Papers we have sandy for Budgeting so whoes is there for TAX???? i only ask because would be nice to see someone elses answers for Business Tax
  • timgriff
    timgriff Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi jewels,

I've just done MAC and BTC, will be doing DFS and PTC in december-so the other way round to you). For what it's worth if I were to give advice to anyone studying this combination I'd say:

MAC - get to grips with variances now - it takes a while to get your head round the logic of these but once you've got it, it clicks and it will give you enough time to focus on other stuff if you learn them early. Also ratios - learn them early and try to explain them. A lot of the other stuff in MAC draws on Unit 15 such as budgeting/ forecasting (similar to unit 15 cash flow forecasting) and Unit 6 ECR - fixed costs, direct costs, overhead absoprtion etc. Also the MAC examiner loves report writing and being cryptic!

BTC - i found this the most difficult module so far, not due to technicality but due to the shear amount of stuff you need to remember. Rules, rules rules! Don't know if it was because I hadn't already done PTC but it was all new to me. Core features are: Disallowable expenditure, Capital Allowances, Chargeable Gains, Calculating tax, Payment & Admin etc for both Ltd Companies AND Sole Traders. This one i'm afraid you just have to do 100 times before you remember it :(

Anyway hope that gives you, and anyone else, a brief insight as to what to expect to. You never know i might be joining you for a resit in december!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Agrees with timgriff will also add its worth it to go over unit 6 aswell and relearn the basics as well as all yours units of calculations i.e grammes kilos metres ect
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi jewels,

I've just done MAC and BTC, will be doing DFS and PTC in december-so the other way round to you). For what it's worth if I were to give advice to anyone studying this combination I'd say:

MAC - get to grips with variances now - it takes a while to get your head round the logic of these but once you've got it, it clicks and it will give you enough time to focus on other stuff if you learn them early. Also ratios - learn them early and try to explain them. A lot of the other stuff in MAC draws on Unit 15 such as budgeting/ forecasting (similar to unit 15 cash flow forecasting) and Unit 6 ECR - fixed costs, direct costs, overhead absoprtion etc. Also the MAC examiner loves report writing and being cryptic!

BTC - i found this the most difficult module so far, not due to technicality but due to the shear amount of stuff you need to remember. Rules, rules rules! Don't know if it was because I hadn't already done PTC but it was all new to me. Core features are: Disallowable expenditure, Capital Allowances, Chargeable Gains, Calculating tax, Payment & Admin etc for both Ltd Companies AND Sole Traders. This one i'm afraid you just have to do 100 times before you remember it :(

Anyway hope that gives you, and anyone else, a brief insight as to what to expect to. You never know i might be joining you for a resit in december!

Thanks for that Timgriff gonna print this off and take your advice on board. Looks like I will have to start on MAC sooner than I thought! I actually found DFS hard to start with but quite enjoyed the exam mainly cause I got all my statements to balance. I liked PTC and thought it was a good subject but then when I sat the exam I found it really difficult. Again like the BTC its all rules for this and rules for that!

Good Luck with your results
  • timgriff
    timgriff Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Thanks Jewels, good luck too, i think the end is in sight now!

Tim
Privacy Policy