Continuing to ACCA - Some advice needed...

DOTTY
DOTTY Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
Hi All,

I am just looking for advice, if anyone is studying or planning to study ACCA.

For the past year and a half I have been producing monthly management accounts and having completed my AAT last August am confident with this.

Trouble is, I can’t helping wandering if I could continue on and complete the ACCA qualification…………………..

My main worry is, would ACCA prove beyond my capabilities.............

Although I completed my AAT I wouldn’t say I did it with ease, some elements I struggled with, mainly the management accounting due to the lack of my knowledge of maths

As I have no former academic qualifications, do I need a certain level of Maths and English?

I know I have to register by 15th August, and my employer is behind me but I am unsure if I am biting of more than I can chew……….

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dotty

Comments

• Rasa
    Rasa Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
    Hi,

If you have completed AAT, you can go straight to ACCA and also you will have 3 exemptions from exams F1, F2 and F3. Off course ACCA is more difficult than AAT, but if you study every week, you should be ok. There are great support forum from Open Tuition, also you can select to study via online classroom - I did that with BPP and they are very helpfull, you can ask tutors and post your comments and lots of other stuff.

Good luck!
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Dotty

Congratulations on completing AAT.

I studied ACCA after doing AAT, and had the same sorts of concerns. When doing AAT I just couldn't get my head around variance analysis.

I found ACCA challenging but worthwhile - up to a point. What it did for me was to realise that ACCA/CIMA/ACA qualified people don't know it all just because they're qualified and that there's a lot more to every subject than is in a text book.

It is more mathematical than AAT, and some things take a lot of practice. A lot of it is repetitive. The exams require both mathematical and written answers, and are done by many people for whom English is a second language.

Much of the value in the qualification is in learning more, and it's not all about accountancy. If you have the support of your employer and a few hours to spare each week (I used to do a minimum 2 hours on Tuesday evening, 2 on Thursday and 2 or 3 each weekend), then go for it.

After qualifying I find AAT (the organisation) much more supportive and helpful than ACCA (just my opinion). Some of the elements in ACCA such as audit, strategic management and IFRS I still don't use in my job.

AAT is a very good qualification in its own right, and provides everything you need to be an accountant, as long as you keep doing plently of relevant CPD.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Privacy Policy