Job hunting!!

Options
lynnemarie
lynnemarie Registered Posts: 11 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
At one rejection letter coming in every day, this is going to be a long and depressing month! lol

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Well stop applying to be Johnny Depp's leading stalker then before the lawyers get involved.

Seriously, if you're worth sending a reply to, I wouldn't write them totally off just yet. View the costs of that letter and stamp as tiny shining lights and it could be worth revisiting that company in a few months time when you're more qualified and experienced. They spent time and effort writing you a letter whereas many companies won't even bother doing that.

Keep those rejection letters on file, update your CV and tap them again in a few months time. You have absolutely nothing to lose and your persistence and tenacity might eventually pay off once the recession (hopefully) turns.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Blobbyh that's a wonderful way to look at it and you are completely right. So many companies don't even send rejection letters these days since they are swamped with applications. A great idea to keep the details on file.
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    Blobbyh, how did you know about Johnny Depp? lol
    I suppose your right at least I am getting a reply ( i even had a phone call from one firm, that was very strange convo). Quite a few said they would keep my CV on file. I have a folder that contains all my applications and begging letter replys.
    I will might try them again in 6 months just keep on stalking them til they give me a job.
    I also said thank you letters to the ones that reply (apparently this is a good idea and makes them think of you again)
    Might need to sell the house to support my postage habit tho ;)
  • Daniel86
    Daniel86 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    you're not the only one!!

signed up to the forums today to see if other AAT members are having the same horrid time looking for jobs!!

I have 4 years experience in accounts.. as an accounts assistant/credit controller finished my aat studies in February, now registering with ACCA for December exams and have been looking for jobs for the last 5 months also.

Its very frustrating I have dealt with numerous agencies who just want to place me in credit control i get a phone call then dont hear from the for weeks on end!! when applying for roles online through the agencies i do not hear from them! tried applying direct to companies taking on trainess in a practice role and they are all asking for 2:1 degrees!!! emailed companies regarding future vacancies!! always the same rejection.

will it ever get better!!! I just want to progress and feel that in this current climate its just not happening. lost generation comes to mind!!!

sorry to rant but my friends and girlfriend is sick of hearing it!!!!!

dan
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    7 invertations to interview 7 times down to last two 7 times piped the post but still looking and 7 applicatons tonight alone. Wow think 8 has to be my lucky number???? (thats just this month alone BTW)

Just an added thought i hope my manager still doesnt come on forums lol
  • Daniel86
    Options
    Vic,

i am also looking in the manchester/cheshire area as i'm also relocating!!! I have been looking for jobs but feel as previously not been called back or don't have the right experience I am actually wasting my time!!

Ha my boss knows i am looking and has done since i have been, he must think i'm a douche for not finding anything!!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Vic,

i am also looking in the manchester/cheshire area as i'm also relocating!!! I have been looking for jobs but feel as previously not been called back or don't have the right experience I am actually wasting my time!!

Ha my boss knows i am looking and has done since i have been, he must think i'm a douche for not finding anything!!!!

Am looking further afield and looking to relocate but hey there loss
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    signed up to the forums today to see if other AAT members are having the same horrid time looking for jobs!!

Hi Dan,
    no probs about the rant, Jeez if you can't get a job with 4 years experience then no hope for any of us!! It is so frustrating!! Agencies don't even give me a call back so they're no use to me.
    Have now applied for about 50 jobs plus the 55 begging letters to accountancy firms and am getting no where :(
  • kerryhill100
    kerryhill100 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Dan,
    no probs about the rant, Jeez if you can't get a job with 4 years experience then no hope for any of us!! It is so frustrating!! Agencies don't even give me a call back so they're no use to me.
    Have now applied for about 50 jobs plus the 55 begging letters to accountancy firms and am getting no where :(

I'm feeling alot of negativity in this thread!! I first considered joining in the rant as it is so so so depressing with all the hard work and rejection, but. . . . . . .

How about we try something different just for 1 day!!

Maybe something similar to a rain dance to bring all good opportunities our way or some form of positive chanting???????? lol

(At this stage I feel anything is worth a try!!!)
  • Rosedragon
    Rosedragon Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I know how it feels to become despondant after so many rejections. I've tried to look for a good reason not to have got the job in every rejection I've had. I'm a big believer in 'everything happens for a reason'.

The worst knock was after an interview that I'd felt went really well and was confident that I had a really good chance. After convincing myself that the job was mine, I didn't get it and felt very depressed afterwards. Not even telling myself that I wasn't ready for the hours involved, I still couldn't shake it.

That job was with Alexandra Workwear, who went into administration today ;)
  • kerryhill100
    Options
    every cloud and all that. . . . . .
  • A-Vic
    Options
    but kerry 7 interviews 7 times to come second and to be told i was an excelent candidate however...... (i am really starting to hate that word) you cant help but get a little hacked off
  • kerryhill100
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    but kerry 7 interviews 7 times to come second and to be told i was an excelent candidate however...... (i am really starting to hate that word) you cant help but get a little hacked off

At least you get interviews!!

Alot of people dont. so you obviously show GREAT potential you just need to see off the opposition - (sledge hammer maybe?)
  • A-Vic
    Options
    At least you get interviews!!

Alot of people dont. so you obviously show GREAT potential you just need to see off the opposition - (sledge hammer maybe?)

interesting concept might pop to B&Q later :lol:
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I think I got lucky, both jobs I went for I was offered them both! I didn't use an agency, just answered job adverts in the paper.

I started a job at a Chartered Accountants 3 weeks ago. 3 days per week and they are paying for my ACCA studying and exams if I want to do them. Job is preparing year end accounts for a range of different clients and auditing work, so I get out and about too.

It is working out really well - and the girls in the office are good fun.

There are jobs out there, keep hunting.
  • Daniel86
    Options
    It is easy to rant its just the frustration!! it is a very negative thread!!! but i kind of take comfort in knowing its not just me that is struggling!!

I very eager to get the experience and would do it for free!!! but still nothing!!!!

Yeah at least you get interviews Vic!!!!

Its all just too much, trying to prepare for ACCA studies from Home trying to relocate to a different county!!! finding a new job and also willing to just work for free to get experience!!!!!

what experience did you have previously mini because all the ones I apply for they want at least one years experience in practice which i cant get!!!!!
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    Sorry, i didn't mean for it to start out as a negative thread!
    It's just very frustrating, i left my previous career to go back to college and retrain only to find i haven't got the practical experience to get a job in this current climate and now over qualified to go back. Bloody shot myself in the foot there lol

A-Vic why don't you try flirting with the interviewers next time, might give you the edge you need without turning to mass murder :)
Privacy Policy