New Client

Moobag Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
I have just been approached by someone who is in arrears with there tax returns. He is a self employed contractor who has had 20% deducted at source, however he hasn't filledin a tax return for a couple of years.

Just wondered where to start?

I was going to produce his accounts as much as I could with the paperwork he has given me and submit each return seperately.

Any help greatly appreciated


  • Tiger
    Tiger Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    yes address it year on year.. but based on my experience it a tax investigation waiting to happen. I'd make sure that if you take this on you price it high enough for the head ache it will become once you've done it!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    1. Letter of engagement, MLR, 64-8.
    2. Get some payment from him up front.
    3. Draw up the accounts as best you can - start from the beginning, use the bank as an anchor point and do what you can with the info provided. Has he got deduction statements?
    4. Complete and submit 2 tax returns.

    Once the 64-8 has gone through, you can look at his statement of account to be sure of what you're dealing with HMRC-side.

    Good luck!
  • Moobag
    Moobag Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for the help

    I have had a payment up front which was nice, he is aware that it could be costly but realises that it is his own fault (there's a 1st!!!)

    I have sent a 64-8 and will send out an engagement letter soon.

    Will just cobble together something with theinformatin he has given me.

    I have deduction statements so that does help!!!!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sounds like it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

    Remember you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. We try our best but we can't work miracles :)
  • paulr
    paulr Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have found out the hard way; I produced 3 sets of accounts but did not take a payment
    up front as he was introduced by a contractor client and he has disappeared.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sounds like you have it all in hand - good luck!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Also you could write/ring HMRC asking for a copy of the last tax return submitted once the 64-8 has been processed
Privacy Policy