how can I get some experience

Options
exam panic
exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi all ,
I'm study aat at the momment and almost finished just waiting for my last exam result to come and I will qualifield as AAT tecnhician.
I 'm looking for accounting job at the momment but look online every job advertise have many people apply for it .And all of the job need 2to 3 years experience in the field .Any one here can advice for me where to get experience. any suggest are welcome.

Comments

• Terdoo
    Terdoo Registered Posts: 144 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Re: experience

You have to do voluntary work, that is how I started, it was very difficult at first, but as soon as I started voluntary work in accounting, I had 3 month experience and immediately got a job.

hope this helps
  • Hopeipassx
    Hopeipassx Registered Posts: 66 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Apply for everything going, that way more of a chance , and even if says 2 - 3 years experience, still apply cus u never know exactly what they are looking for & probably niether do they.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    try temp work, even if it's for 1 week, this will give you experience and good feedbacks to the agency. Once they will know you, they can put you through for other positions.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Voluntary work or temp work in a ledger dept is probably your best opportunity.

I would just say be very careful what voluntary work you do. There are many good voluntary opportunities about but I helped out one charity over an eight month period and got very badly treated so be careful.

Mark
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Voluntary or temp work, unless you can get into an accounts office as a trainee..

I've never done any of the above tho, i've been working in accounts since i started studying, i luckily got the job first then started studying..
  • Doug7
    Doug7 Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    woexperience

could try something like gumtree to find or adv work wanted for free
    Doug@coastaltax.co.uk
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Problem is I can't give up my work yet to work for free

I 'm work mon- friday in office hours most of accountant firm open the same hour but I can not give up my work yet .Till need pay mortgage chilcare.
  • Terdoo
    Terdoo Registered Posts: 144 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Can;t do voluntary
    I 'm work mon- friday in office hours most of accountant firm open the same hour but I can not give up my work yet .Till need pay mortgage chilcare.

Why can,t you do voluntary work once a week, like Saturday since you work in an office mon to fri, then you can gain experience in account or what about evening voluntary in accounts in a care homes?

Thank you
  • alicia18
    alicia18 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    work experience

after completing three years of AAT, i was having the same problem, i was searching for a job be all needed candidates to have 2-3 years work experience, i finally landed a job as an Accounting Officer without the experience, but am leaving because the working environment is too hectic due to very high staff turnover and lack of communication among things. the good thing about it is that i have managed to gain 6 months work experience, but still am concerned that it wont be enough to get another job.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I know what you mean about some accounting depts Alicia.

One of my first accounting jobs was awful with poor work practices and a group of directors who were like vipers. Just keep at it because there are decent employers about.

Mark
Privacy Policy