CV Covering Letters

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi All

Been sat for a few hours and have a list of accountants to send my CV to however i have zero ideas what i am ment to put on the covering letter.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    A-Vic

If you go onto www.eagle-education.co.uk then click on the rescourses tab at the top, then onto CV then on the left hand side menu, click on 11. covering letter. Hope this helps.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Avic,
    I've been in the same position - the firm that was going to give me a training contract has shut up shop through a court case, so I'm back to square one. I've just used mine to explain how much I'd like a job in practice & why, & the fact that I'm happy to start at entry level (I think my last job title of analyst might have been putting people off, as in I might be after too much money etc). The covering letter is supposed to make people want to read your CV, but I've found quite a few of the secreteries read them whilst you're handing them over & want to know more. Let me know if you want me to PM you mine. Best of luck.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Thanks Susie found the e-learning link thats great - unfortunatley couldn't open the attachment example :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Vic,

Here's another link which looks useful:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/coveringletters.htm

I would still maintain that a covering letter shouldn't go into too much detail, probably no more than half a sheet of A4 with easily readable lines and paragraphs, especially if it's unsolicited and you're taking up the readers time.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I always have mine done in the same style

Line 0 - Greeting
    Line 1 - Why you are applying for the job
    Line 2 - Why you think you would be good for the job you are applying
    Line 3 - How your background and experience would help on performing the role
    Line 4 - Gladly to provide more information if needed.
    Line 4 - Thank you
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Thanks everyone some great tips going to have a go tonight :)
Privacy Policy