Books

Options
Marga
Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
Got my technician books yesterday Kaplan DFS,MAC and the two Tax modules

will have a look at them this weekend and decide which ones to actually prepare for december

Would you please advise based on your own opinions and experience what would be best to start with?

Thanks

Comments

• jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hey Marga,

You already know what I am doing in December..................have I scared you off MAC? :lol:
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi,

Just a recommendation - for DFS you should look at getting 'A Students Guide to IFRS' by Clare Finch which will help with the accounting standards.

Happy studying!! :)

Regards.

Steve
  • GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Marga wrote: »

will have a look at them this weekend and decide which ones to actually prepare for december

Would you please advise based on your own opinions and experience what would be best to start with?

Thanks

I've started DFS and PEV/PCR (MAC equivilent(ish) I think) I'm also doing the two tax units.
    I know a lot of people have recommended doing the two tax units together, DFS is a follow on from Unit 5. I'm just going to study them all for a couple of months and then focus on the ones I feel most confident nearer the time to the exams :)

~Mouse
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I've started DFS and PEV/PCR (MAC equivilent(ish) I think) I'm also doing the two tax units.
    I know a lot of people have recommended doing the two tax units together, DFS is a follow on from Unit 5. I'm just going to study them all for a couple of months and then focus on the ones I feel most confident nearer the time to the exams :)

~Mouse

Personally having done the two tax units sepratley am glad i did, there are so many different rules i know i would have got confused.
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    Oh! Well I guess it's up to the individual, I've only seen posts & heard people saying that it was easier to take them together, ah, well I'll see how I do and then decide from there, thank you :)

~Mouse
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Oh! Well I guess it's up to the individual, I've only seen posts & heard people saying that it was easier to take them together, ah, well I'll see how I do and then decide from there, thank you

~Mouse

No probs :) good luck with your studies
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

Hi Marga,

I've got my OCMC next week and then hoping to get Ethics out of the way by September so looking into Technician now. I'm going to go with Kaplan since my current provider has to be the worst value for money in history (I think you've experienced them as well!).

Did Kaplan offer you the choice of doing the old diploma route as I thought they would insist on doing the new QCF if starting now. If you had a choice, why did you pick the old route.

Sorry for all the questions but it's great to be able to pick someone else's brain for experience.

Thanks.
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    jenny3549 wrote: »

Hi Marga,

I've got my OCMC next week and then hoping to get Ethics out of the way by September so looking into Technician now. I'm going to go with Kaplan since my current provider has to be the worst value for money in history (I think you've experienced them as well!).

Did Kaplan offer you the choice of doing the old diploma route as I thought they would insist on doing the new QCF if starting now. If you had a choice, why did you pick the old route.

Sorry for all the questions but it's great to be able to pick someone else's brain for experience.

Thanks.

I'm with Kaplan too and they didn't want me to switch they wanted me to stay on the old standards saying I could still do those exams until June 2011.

~Mouse
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    No probs :) good luck with your studies

lol thank you, after getting to statement of cashflow on DFS....I'm going to need it!
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    Hi,

Just a recommendation - for DFS you should look at getting 'A Students Guide to IFRS' by Clare Finch which will help with the accounting standards.

Regards.

Steve

Ah, I got hold of my boss' credit card and that book should be winging it's way to me tomorrow, thank you!

~Mouse
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ah, I got hold of my boss' credit card and that book should be winging it's way to me tomorrow, thank you!

~Mouse

It's exceptionally good for DFS, (I'm not just saying that because Clare's a friend!!), but it is also something you can keep hold of for future studies if you progress to chartered courses.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Good luck deciding Marga! I know whatever you pick, you'll do fine and there is still lots of help on the forums!

I love the fact you use your boss' credit card for it... Next time, could you order me some books as well? :lol:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    It's exceptionally good for DFS, (I'm not just saying that because Clare's a friend!!), but it is also something you can keep hold of for future studies if you progress to chartered courses.

Kind regards
    Steve

Have to agree thats why mines under lock and key ready for ACCA in a years time fab book
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    I love the fact you use your boss' credit card for it... Next time, could you order me some books as well? [/QUOTE]

lol I think he wants to borrow the book off me! However, I do, now, have his credit card details locked in my Amazon account, and I'm the one that checks the receipts....if it wasn't for those pesky auditors...
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Great advices here thanks everyone

Steve i will get the book thanks for the advice

Jewels....first thing i did when i got the books was to look out for variances in MAC!

Mouse i was thinking about having a look on all them books until the end of july and then decide which one i want to actually focus on

I like the idea of doing DFS first af it is a higher level than FRA which i ejoyed a lot but then MAC is tempting too as i know that jewels is doing it too....

Jenny good luck with OCMC let me know how it goes. I was very put off with HLC so i have decided to do the technician course (or at least the exams) on my own so i just bought the Kaplan books i didnt register with them or anything. I will enter myself for the exams directly with AAT and for the skills tests and project then next year i will choose probably premier training to finish it off

Rinske thanks for your words of courage ...really appreciate them :)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi,

Regards.

Steve

I thought her name sounded familier. I clicked the link and I have the book!

Had it for a few years so not sure if the version I have is out of date or not?
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    Hello!

Amazon excelled themselves and I'm now holding a copy of the recommended book. Could anyone point me in the direction of the IFRS's that I need to know for the DFS exam please?

Thank you

~Mouse
  • Clare Finch
    Clare Finch Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you all for kind words

To PGM- The first edition is fine for DFS but if you want the supplement (IFRS 3 revised) PM me..

To Mouse

I hope you find it useful..you need

The Framework (chapter1)
    IAS 1
    IAS2
    IAS 7
    IAS 8
    IAS 10
    IAS 16
    IAS 18
    IAS 37
    IAS 38
    (That is ALL the orange chapters)

IAS 12
    IAS 17
    IAS 23
    IAS 33
    IAS 36
    IAS 40
    IFRS 5

From the green chapters

IAS 27
    IFRS 3
    IAS 28

From the blue chapters

And only one of the 'reds'...IFRS 8

You'll need the others if you move on to ACCA/CIMA or ACA..

Good luck

Clare
  • GreenMousey
    Options
    Ah! Excellent, thank you

Thank you for the luck, I shall need it!

~Mouse
Privacy Policy