Getting back into the swing of things

Options
sharonj
sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi

I have had a lot of changes this year with my work and have completely lost my focus and drive for studying. I've not studdied properly since I found out I was being made redundant at the end of January. I am halfway through the advanced certificate having passed my FRA exam and my professional ethics skills test (ok, so maybe just under halfway) but still have a long road ahead.

I am quite tired when I get in from work as I started in a new department in March of this year, completely different to where I have worked for the past 15 odd years and most days it seems to take all of my brain power just to do my job, let alone study when I get home. I'm still going to be made redundant at some point from my employers as my current job is only covering maternity leave and it feels like I can't concentrate on studying with this hanging over my head. I know I can't continue like this as I could be in this job for another six months before I get a permanent job or another temp role.

Does anyone have any words of advice or has anyone been in a similar situation? I just can't seem to get back into it but am getting increasingly frustrated with myself for not studying!

Thanks for any comments.

Sharon

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    First of all, don't get frustrated with yourself. That really doesn't help!

The second part, a new job takes up a lot of energy. You need to learn it all again and to study in the evenings might be very hard. Try to free up a Saturday (morning) and/ or Sunday (morning) to get back into things and maybe just start rereading some things to get back in the habit.

Knowing you will be made redundant is a big worry. Big worries take up a lot of energy, so with everything that is going on, I can fully understand you don't have the energy to study a lot.

Try not to be too hard to yourself, realize you got a lot going on and try to give yourself some time off from the worrying! You could go for a long walk, visit a spa, go lie on the beach for a bit, anything that might give you the time to relax and put things back in perspective or a little worry box in your head, rather than in a constant cloud of doom above your head. (Not saying you do it too much, but usually this kind of things are more pressing on your shoulders than you realize).

As for the study. Try and plan something on the days you don't work, like the Saturday or Sunday rather than in the evenings. Even if you just study an hour per week at the start, you might find it will get easier to concentrate on the study while you get along and might find it a nice way to keep your mind of your current situation.

Good luck! It sounds like you got a lot on your plate, so if all things don't help, don't give up, but just give yourself a longer break!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Don't try and do too much, can be counter-productive.

Try two evenings per week and a half day at weekend.

Just doing little chunks makes it easier to stay motivated and awake. And won't ruin your social life!
  • sharonj
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

My husband lost his job last year and now works for himself plus he does an evening job which means I'm on my own in the evenings with the kids. It doesn't seem to leave me a lot of time in the evenings and then the weekends are full of washing, ironing and cooking for the week so that my husband can eat before he goes to work. Also as I work full time I need to set aside time to spend with the family as a family. Before I was put in this redundancy situation this seemed a whole lot easier. I was going along quite well and don't want my current situation to have ruined all of the hard work and effort I've put in over the last couple of years. Don't want to give you my life story but you can see why I don't seem to have the energy or get up and go to study.

I want to find the time as I also know that I only have a year to complete this level as the AAT are changing the qualification slightly and if I don't complete it by next June I'll have to re-take what I've already done.

I will definitely try and re-read some of what I've done to refresh myself a bit and also try to relax about it. I really want to do this and I just hope my sitiation gets easier soon.

Thanks
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    i changed roles back in April and wanted to have taken exams in june ..... no good combination....i have been 3 months without touching a book but finally i have got used to my new role and i have now just bought the books for technician. i come home very tired after working my brains off during the day so i have booked some study time during the weekend so i will be doing two blocks of 3 hours

so my advice is take it easy because stressing wont help at all.

once you get used to your job you will be more relaxed.

I also have realised that if i have a place/room for myself to study without any disruption (tv, radio, computer, cats, garden, husband, etc...) helps a lot too ...so find a place at home where you are more at ease and call it yours for no one else to bother you while you study
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've decided to book a weeks unpaid leave before Dec exams. I've decided the money isn't worth the stress!

So I'll have 5 extra days to study which will take the pressure off a bit.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    I've decided to book a weeks unpaid leave before Dec exams. I've decided the money isn't work the stress!

So I'll have 5 extra days to study which will take the pressure off a bit.

i have booked my christmas holidays so i have those out of the way

as i am not going anywhere for the summer that means that i will have around 7 working days as holidays (paid) that i am not using so i might book something closer to the exams time
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Sharonj

I know exactly where you're coming from and, yes it is really hard to juggle everything especially with children!!!

A new job is a complete brain drain - I started one 2 weeks ago and am completely knackered by the time I get home.

You don't say how old your children are; one thing that I swear by is a fixed bedtime for the boys - so I know when I'm going to get 'me time'.

I do know how hard it is, but honestly think that if you can keep going you will only be improving your chances of finding a better job.

My husband and I worked together and we both lost our jobs at the end of June; I'm lucky that I got a job within 9 days, but we're really going to struggle with him out of work. I wanted to start ATT in October, but at the moment I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to sign up as my money is going to have to pay the bills and I only work part time!

Real chicken and egg; need to study to earn more but need to earn more to afford studying!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • sharonj
    Options
    Hi Anniem

I know exactly what you mean. My kids are 11 and 10 so are of an age where I can explain if I need some time to do some studying but they also resent me studying as I don't get much time to spend with them either. I'm hoping I will start to feel less tired soon and plan on reading my accs book this weekend to try and get back on track.
Privacy Policy