MAAT Subscriptions a nightmare

Options
rasbongo
rasbongo Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
I think MAAT subscriptions are a nightmare to some of us! What really is the use of passing AAT then pay annually for being a full member! Its like a Dr. being asked to pay annually for attaining his qualification or else his title will be taken away from him. My suggestions will be to subscribe annually when you are still on your way to finish your AAT but after finishing your AAT then make a once off payment of being a full MAAT member. This is not on and I hope it is reviewed.

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Every qualification does it (ICAEW, ICAS, ACCA).
  • rasbongo
    Options
    If you are a member of ACCA would you still be eligible for MAAT subscriptions?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    rasbongo wrote: »
    I think MAAT subscriptions are a nightmare to some of us! What really is the use of passing AAT then pay annually for being a full member! Its like a Dr. being asked to pay annually for attaining his qualification or else his title will be taken away from him. My suggestions will be to subscribe annually when you are still on your way to finish your AAT but after finishing your AAT then make a once off payment of being a full MAAT member.

I think you'll find that's exactly what does happen.

Welcome to the world of being a professional. What you've said is a bit like saying paying tax is unfair ;)

Think about it this way - in order to get your annual membership, you have to prove you are still current and up to date in your skills and knowledge - CPD. Say you passed your exams in 2003. Without some kind of annual check, who's to say you can't just get stuck in the same old 2003 rut and never update your knowledge, be a cr*p accountant, but still call yourself MAAT? That would reflect appallingly on the AAT. Even worse, be a cr*p doctor and potentially let people die?! Continuing Professional Development is essential and if you want your hard-earned letters, it's a way of ensuring the quality of the profession, whatever it is. Paying an annual sub also shows you are serious about your qualification.

You are also paying for the support a professional body gives you (I know that's debatable at times but it is there) and the confidence members of the public and employers have in your skills.

If you want MAAT after your name you have to pay. There may be a reduced subscription rate (there is if you are studying a further qualification) if you're a member of another body e.g. ACCA but I am pretty sure you still have to pay to have the letters after your name.
    This is not on and I hope it is reviewed.
    It is very on, and I hope it isn't reviewed. :-)
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Totally agree with Monsoon plus we need to keep MAAT worth having.

Before I took full advantage of my MAAT I did think the subs were quite high. But over the past year I have taken full advantage of things that our subs go to pay for -

1) Branch events and CPD - I have been blown away by the range of topics offered each month by the 3 Devon and Cornwall branches. They have really helped refresh and broaden my accounting and business knowledge. Plus networking of course.

2) Pod casts and articles online. And the monthly magazine of course.

3) These forums for reading up on a range of issues and for advice.

But I suppose the main thing for me is paying subs each year so that the AAT can keep active and keep itself a valued qualification nationally.

I have also applied for MIP this month - very impressed at this as well.

Overall I think I get great value for money. And that's a genuine opinion.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    As others have pointed out there is a point to it as it upholds the integrity of our qualification. Doctors do have to pay as well to the GMC, Pharmacists also to the RPSGB, Accountants to their appropriate professional bodies. For all professions it is the same - their bodies are there to be able to reassure the users of the professionals that they are exactly that, professional.
    Regards,

Burg
  • rasbongo
    Options
    Thank you all for your contributions. They have rally added a new dimenion in to my thinking regarding the membership fees.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks Rasbongo, glad it's helped.

It is a pain paying every year, but it really is worth it.
    If you're employed, it's often the employer who pays (and if they don't, you should get tax relief on it)

If you work for yourself, it becomes another cost of running your business and if you do well, it shouldn't break the bank :)

All the best with your new qualification!
Privacy Policy