Disenhearted

Options
tigger37
tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Once again, I did not make it to the 2nd round of interviews. The problem they say is there are also alot of part qualified/qualified's willing to take the reduced wages and then they get selected before me. I seem to keep running into this problem and can't compete with part qualified's even though I have 7+ years experience as well. Bummed out moan over :(

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Don't give up.
  • sheemary
    sheemary Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hey what interview did u go for???
    i hope something comes through soon for you.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You do realise there's no such word as disenhearted? I take it you mean disheartened?

Why is this relevant? Well, some might think it's not but of course it is to those that can spot the bad word. Please don't take this badly, but if you become a management accountant where one of your respnsibilities might be to write reports for other users, whether accountants or not, you must make sure your spelling is spot on and beyond reproach. You simply cannot have readers mulling over your choice of words when they should really be concentrating on the flesh of the report. HR people, usually by their nature, often have a very good standard of spelling and might frown upon those whose spelling is poor. Grammar is harder - and we all get that one wrong, I'm sure - but spelling mistakes are impossible to ignore if you can spot them and may often lead to (sometimes false) assumptions being made.

While it's easy to misspell words on a forum like this where the spellchecker is more trouble than it's worth, it's another thing entirely to invent words. So maybe the reasons for your bad luck could lie elsewhere rather than your accounting skills? Just be careful.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    respnsibilities

tssk tssk.... :lol:

Sorry Blobster, just kidding...
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Heh heh heh... I knew someone would fine tooth comb it hence my spellchecker get-out-of-jail-free card!

But I stand by my wider point that literacy is as much a part of an accountancy application as numeracy.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Heh heh heh... I knew someone would fine tooth comb it hence my spellchecker get-out-of-jail-free card!

But I stand by my wider point that literacy is as much a part of an accountancy application as numeracy.
    I agree with you on that. I just read your post and saw the mistake and just couldn't help pointing it out. However I did not speciflcally fine tooth combe the post to be fair.

But I find it hard to avoid spelling errors sometimes when applying, because English isn't my first language, I solved that by forcing my boyfriend to read everything on a job application/ resume and email before sending it out. However sometimes we disagree on the way things have been worded and I usually end up using my own wording in that case.

I was thinking about taking some English course, but then again, I got no clue on what level to start and how much improvement it would bring. Especially speaking, sometimes it would just be nice if not everyone would ask where I am from, when you first meet them, although so far I have been told I have an American accent (very recently), a Dutch accent (although not lately) and a Swedish accent for some reason, which makes it kind of funny.

It's also nices if you get salesmen or other weird people at the door. All of a sudden I got no clue what they are saying anymore.... (I had that with a Jehova's witness, he started reading me something out of a bible and I seriously didn't know what he said! I think the bible was written in old fashioned language)
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    You do realise there's no such word as disenhearted? I take it you mean disheartened?

Why is this relevant? Well, some might think it's not but of course it is to those that can spot the bad word. Please don't take this badly, but if you become a management accountant where one of your respnsibilities might be to write reports for other users, whether accountants or not, you must make sure your spelling is spot on and beyond reproach. You simply cannot have readers mulling over your choice of words when they should really be concentrating on the flesh of the report. HR people, usually by their nature, often have a very good standard of spelling and might frown upon those whose spelling is poor. Grammar is harder - and we all get that one wrong, I'm sure - but spelling mistakes are impossible to ignore if you can spot them and may often lead to (sometimes false) assumptions being made.

While it's easy to misspell words on a forum like this where the spellchecker is more trouble than it's worth, it's another thing entirely to invent words. So maybe the reasons for your bad luck could lie elsewhere rather than your accounting skills? Just be careful.
    no offense taken.

Btw....I always use spell checker when applying for jobs.......I only get the occasional misspelled word on forums because I get caught up in the heat of the moment so to speak.

I was told that the reason I am not advancing is that there are the part qualifieds 9ACCA, CIMA, ACA) taking the jobs at lower wages. They said it was nothing else, but to look up as the recruiter said they never stick in the lower paying jobs for long and as soon as the job market picks up, they will bugger off to higher paying roles. That doesn't help for now, but I will keep it in mind
  • Andypandy
    Options
    I went for an interview today, & because of the competition, told them I'd be willing to take 70% of my last salary & put myself through ACCA just to get a look in.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    everything crossed andrea :)
  • Rinske
    Options
    I went for an interview today, & because of the competition, told them I'd be willing to take 70% of my last salary & put myself through ACCA just to get a look in.
    Oh good luck! Everything crossed here for you as well!
  • Andypandy
    Options
    Thanks you guys - it's my dream job!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    tigger37 wrote: Β»
    .......I only get the occasional misspelled word on forums because I get caught up in the heat of the moment so to speak.

Easily done!
Privacy Policy