Another Language

Options
Marga
Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
Ok so i want to learn another language but have not quite decided yet...

I am torn between what i think i would like/enjoy more and what actually would be more useful

Bearing in mind i dont like to study something i dont enjoy i am a bit biased so your opinion would be greatly appreciated


Languages to choose are

French
Italian
German
Portuguese



What you think? do you know any other language?

Comments

  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    i can count to ten in servaral different languages and i do a little french and enjoy it but it is pretty difficult to learn but thats just me

    personally i am hoping to learn sign langague.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Spanish is actually quite easy to learn and as useful as anything else! The way of life is so slack in Spain that they could probably do with a few Spanish speaking, British trained accountants to get them out of the mess they've put themselves in!
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Agreement with Blobbyh on this one - I love Spanish and it's probably the easiest of the three I did (the others were French and German). Great fun!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Spanish is actually quite easy to learn and as useful as anything else! The way of life is so slack in Spain that they could probably do with a few Spanish speaking, British trained accountants to get them out of the mess they've put themselves in!


    LOL ....maybe i forgot to add in my post that i am spanish .....


    i am the hero Spain needs then!!!!


    A-vic i can undestand some sign language as i worked with an organisation for disable people a while ago and i learnt some it is a beautiful language :)
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I just realised you were Spanish having just read your reply on the funny pets - whoops!!! In which case I'd plump for Italian as I think it compliments Spanish well and you could have fun practising the exaggerated hand gestures!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Of those languages I would learn German or French.

    French because it is closer to Spanish and therefore easier to learn for you and German or French because they would be more useful. Unless you're planning to move to a specific country already.

    It's a personal choice though, so might not be useful to you. Just remember German is quite hard to learn grammar wise, due to all the stupid different rules (ich mich mir and so on).
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    i can count to ten in servaral different languages and i do a little french and enjoy it but it is pretty difficult to learn but thats just me

    personally i am hoping to learn sign langague.
    I know some sign language, both ASL and BSL as both my son and I are moderately to severely deaf. I like to just use it and noone has a clue what I am saying...lol
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I speak french, german and makaton (sign language for children/mentally handicapped) and actually find that the basics in a few languages are really useful. I learnt makaton as a teenager, but it has been useful as my 3 year old has delayed speech so we use makaton all the time with him.

    Only problem I have with knowing more than one language is that I accidentally substitute words from one language into another if I can't think in the right language.

    I grew up playing tri-lingual scrabble too - it's great fun, and if you have a person who can't speak any other languages playing scrabble with you you can make up words that don't even exist and they're convinced (unless you opt to have the translation dictionaries handy!). Great for cheating!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I speak Scottish :laugh: That is a different language to some people in England as most of my customers there think I speak too quick and if I dont pronounce my words in "English" they dont have a clue! That I suppose is why they call it your "Phone Voice"
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jewels.p wrote: »
    I speak Scottish :laugh: That is a different language to some people in England as most of my customers there think I speak too quick and if I dont pronounce my words in "English" they dont have a clue! That I suppose is why they call it your "Phone Voice"

    This lol!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    i speak german and english, i use german everyday and i have never attended a class for it. i just ingratiate myself in the local community and have picked it up that way. i took french gcse in school and have never used it.

    i personally would love to be able to speak chinese but cannot see myself actually using it

    Tracy
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    taskey wrote: »
    i speak german and english, i use german everyday and i have never attended a class for it. i just ingratiate myself in the local community and have picked it up that way. i took french gcse in school and have never used it.

    i personally would love to be able to speak chinese but cannot see myself actually using it

    Tracy

    11 years ago I learn't some basic manadarin chinese cos I was going there on holiday, you know numbers, hello, thankyou, 2 beers please. I bartered with a guy at a stall and when I said 50 in mandarin he p*ssed himself laughing but immediatley agreed to sell at my price he was so surprised!
Privacy Policy