BTC or PTC?

Options
jenny3549
jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Ok, since I didn't get any responses to my previous question (sob!) I'll ask again but make it less rambling.

I can only choose one out of PTC or BTC so which one would you guys recommend and why?

Please, any thoughts or advice (or anything really) would be very welcome!

Jenny

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Pct
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Thanks Vic. Any particular reasons why?

I'm really torn on this one. I can see that business tax would be more useful at work (I'm in industry as opposed to practice) but then I've done payroll for years so wonder if I'd have a good start on personal.

Why oh why can't I make up my mind?

Damn unit 15, if it hadn't been for doing that one already I could have picked both!

:001_smile:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i passed it lol
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Ok, that's definitely a good reason!

:lol:
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I took BTC & PTC at the same sitting last December. I personally found PTC the easier of the two, and if you are already work in payroll it would tie in nicely.

I work in industry and didn't find that BTC was particulary relevant to my company.

Hope this helps

Claire
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Thanks Claire.

I think I'm leaning to personal as it seems more interesting and at the end of the day PwC sorts the tax out after the audit so I don't suppose it would make much differnce at work - besides, I'm paying for this myself so I suppose I should do whatever makes me happier - although I'm not sure an exam could be described as making me happy!!!!
  • kristina1980
    kristina1980 Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I would recommend PTC.I have took both PTC and BTC and PTC was a much simpler paper. Also I think it is a better unit to have in your circustances. BTC is not a lot harder, but there is a lot more to remember!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I took both.

PTC is arguably easier.

BTC - essential if you want to work in practice, less relevant if you want to work in industry.
    PTC - also essential for practice (lol). There is some crossover in the 2 though.

If you really want to just pass the qualification, PTC
    If you really want to work in industry, PTC
    If you really want to work in practice, BTC
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I work in industry and my boss advised me to do PTC, because for my job it didn't matter either way, but if you want to do help friend's who may be self employed with their accounts then PTC is most useful.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    PTC definately.
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Thank you everyone. That really is a big help - think I'll definitely go for PTC!

You've all put my mind at rest so thank you again.

:thumbup:
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I did BTC, but then I work in practice.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Me too, I choosed BTC and I work in practice. BTC also covered sole traders with their personal tax return, not only companies.
    What PTC covers? payroll tax?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Not the ptc i covered? it is personal tax so everything to do with personal tax benefits in kind, allowable and disallowble expences ect
Privacy Policy