Where are the jobs for people without experience?!

Options
mickle
mickle Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
I have just passed my BTC&PTC and have only DFS left in december, so I have started searching for work in Nottingham as i am moving there in October. Every time i speak to my agency about a position they say it has been filled already. I have 7years experience in banking at various levels but none in an Accounts position.

I have started doing voluntary work for a new business in my village,after work hours. I thought this would clinch it for me and i would start getting some interviews but nothing so far.

Any advice from anybody who was once in my position? I want to continue studying after the AAT but my position makes this difficult.

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Mickle,

This is a question that routinely comes up, seemingly every couple of days!

For candidates with little or no experience, agencies are going to be of little use to you. Agencies are nearly always paid by their clients to seek suitably qualified AND experienced candidates for immediate to short term implementation, either on a temp or perm basis. Trainee positions will rarely be offered through agencies since clients are generally looking for people who can make an immediate contribution to their businesses and thus able to hit the ground running. It's tough but it's a tough world and as I've said before, agencies are 'for profit' entities not charitable institutions or government funded extensions of the job centre.

For trainee positions, the best method is still by direct application but bear in mind we are arguably still slumped in recession, many businesses have gone to the wall and accounting positions - like many other professions - are currently over-subscribed by people of all calibres. Remember that agencies merely compile shortlists of suitable candidates - it's the paying client that ultimately decides who or not to hire.

As has also been discussed elsewhere, I'd be wary of studying further without first gaining some experience as being over-qualified/under-experienced could actually be quite harmful to your prospects.
  • mickle
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I have seen similar threads before,that is correct. Still frustrating nevertheless. Just brick walls every where i turn! I have really enjoyed studying and want to push myself even more. Unfortunately banking has no more oppurtunities that interest me and so I am keen to move on.

Regards.
  • Siobhan Carmel
    Siobhan Carmel Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Carmel

This is something that concerns me too. What if we get AAT qualified and cannot find any relevant work?

Carmel
  • mickle
    Options
    I heard that if you dont gain your MAAT status within 3 years or so, you have to complete the whole AAT again! If this is correct then its not looking good for many of us in the same boat hey?

More jobs please!
  • Siobhan Carmel
    Siobhan Carmel Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Carmel

Is that true about starting all over again? It has to be some sort of horrible joke surely!

Carmel
  • No.1
    No.1 Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    We are on the same boat

I have just completed AAT, and i don't work in accounting field, I have applied hundreds jobs, nothing happen, what am I going to do next?
  • welshpride
    welshpride Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I am the same position just finished the technician level of the aat, dont work in accounts or even in an office!!
  • RowanB
    RowanB Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think we should all get together and establish our own accountancy firm. :)
  • RowanB
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Hi Mickle,

As has also been discussed elsewhere, I'd be wary of studying further without first gaining some experience as being over-qualified/under-experienced could actually be quite harmful to your prospects.

Remember when I used to worry about becoming a 'passed finalist'? This is what I was talking about. I think passing AAT without gaining much experience is OK though.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »

Good advice Blobbyh, this is infact what I did:
    -when I completed Foundation, I stopped studying and I found an accounts assistant job,
    -when I completed Intermediate, I stopped studying and I found a job in a practice
    -I'm now waiting results for the remaining units, then I will become self-employed

I gained so much accounting experience, however it took me almost 7 years to complete the AAT.
  • RowanB
    Options
    I was thinking of doing the same thing after Intermediate Level Londina, but I just carried on because that's what most people on here advised.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    RowanB wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing the same thing after Intermediate Level Londina, but I just carried on because that's what most people on here advised.

Some people advised me the same too, but everyone need to look at what's important for themselves, some people prefer to finish all their studies as soon as possible and other prefer to take a break and carry on later.

In some occasion I've found difficult to explain to potential employers/agencies why it took me so long to complete the AAT, I told them I prefered to get a job first in an accounting position where I could to put in practice what I have learnt, and then study again later when I gained more knowledge/experience....some people understood and some asked why I didn't concentrate to finish my studies first!
  • RowanB
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Londina. It's interesting that you got mixed responses from employers.
Privacy Policy