To go on or not to go on!!

Options
katie123666
katie123666 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ā­
Hi people, just completed level 4 and whilst doing my last year I decided to not go on to ACCA or CIMA etc once I had finished. Now Iā€™m not sure and I just wondered if any one could tell me any thing about the higher levels how to decide which one to do if any.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Do it, after ACCA you'll be raking in the money!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Do it, after ACCA you'll be raking in the money!

I wish!!!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I wish!!!

better be!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hi people, just completed level 4 and whilst doing my last year I decided to not go on to ACCA or CIMA etc once I had finished. Now Iā€™m not sure and I just wondered if any one could tell me any thing about the higher levels how to decide which one to do if any.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends what you want to do with your career, really.
    The higher qualified you are, the more salary you can command if you are employed (in theory).

The problem is there are far more newly qualifieds than there are jobs, so qualified people are being taken on at a very low salary, because there is so much competition to get the experience.

Have you got a job in accounts at the moment? Do you want to be an employee or work for yourself?
  • katie123666
    katie123666 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    Yes I have worked in accounts for years and have worked in my current role for two years. I agree that is the problem at the moment, not many jobs and a lot of qualified people. Need to have a proper think!!
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: Ā»
    Depends what you want to do with your career, really.
    The higher qualified you are, the more salary you can command if you are employed (in theory).

The problem is there are far more newly qualifieds than there are jobs, so qualified people are being taken on at a very low salary, because there is so much competition to get the experience.

Have you got a job in accounts at the moment? Do you want to be an employee or work for yourself?
    That's been my problem in finding a new job as being made redundant next month. I do very well at the interviews, but because there are part qualified's also going for the same roles at the lower salary they are offering, they get offered it before me. Not a very fair shake for the rest of us lowly AATs'.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Katie, in that case, what does your employer think about you going on to do a chartered qualification? Will it enhance your role there? Will they pay you more? As you say, you need to have a proper think. What you don't want to do is to pay out to get another qualification if it's not going to pay for itself in the medium-long term.

Tigger, apparently that's how it is, it sucks, but I don't really know what can be done to change it.

By the way, I've now shared all I know about it, so don't expect any more pearls of wisdom!
  • moozy7
    moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    I have been qualified ( AAT ) for a couple of years now and am going through a similar thought process.

So - what is the difference between what you can earn as AAT / Part Qualified / ACCA / CIMA

Anyone have any ideas?
  • messedup89
    Options
    moozy7 wrote: Ā»
    I have been qualified ( AAT ) for a couple of years now and am going through a similar thought process.

So - what is the difference between what you can earn as AAT / Part Qualified / ACCA / CIMA

Anyone have any ideas?

Depends on your employer. Could be nothing, could be a smidge or could be a few K
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Options
    At the risk of being shot down, are the Ā£'s the only consideration?

What about the satisfaction of completing ACCA or CIMA? (which ever you choose). Remember you may not be in a position to do it later in your life and you may regret not taking the opportunity now.. just a further thought!

Good luck pondering!
  • messedup89
    Options
    reddwarf wrote: Ā»
    At the risk of being shot down, are the Ā£'s the only consideration?

What about the satisfaction of completing ACCA or CIMA? (which ever you choose). Remember you may not be in a position to do it later in your life and you may regret not taking the opportunity now.. just a further thought!

Good luck pondering!

personally depends what your wage is like at the start. Its not the only consideration but it is a major one
  • moozy7
    moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    Ah well - this is a second career for me ( having been a fitness instructor for a long time, I thought its about time I grew up and got myself a sensible job :-) )

I am 50 - bags of energy and I would imagine a good 15 years left to my career life.

Yes the challenge is calling me, but there is life / work balance thing to think about, and within that whole process is the question - will it be worth it.
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Can you move on to ACCA/CIMA without experience?

I want to carry on once i have completed Level 4, but I need to know if I'd have to find a new job as in my current position all I do is invoices/expenses etc.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Think you need to be MAAT qualified to claim exemptions and part of MAAT is having 1 years work experience signed off by AAT.
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    AK002 wrote: Ā»
    Think you need to be MAAT qualified to claim exemptions and part of MAAT is having 1 years work experience signed off by AAT.
    I have already had my 1 years work experience approved by the AAT, I'm concerned at how much work experience/if you need any to complete ACCA/CIMA as I doubt I would get any in my current job role.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I think both are about 3 years, but you could start on the course, get a new job and start building the work experience up later.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I believe you just need to have passed AAT to claim ACCA exemptions, you don't need to be MAAT as I didn't get my letters until I was part way through ACCA due to working part time and needing more than a year to make the hours requirement.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    I believe you just need to have passed AAT to claim ACCA exemptions, you don't need to be MAAT as I didn't get my letters until I was part way through ACCA due to working part time and needing more than a year to make the hours requirement.

I was in the same situation this time last year. I claimed my ACCA exemptions from passing AAT, then once my ACCA registration was successful I applied for my MAAT at the reduced subscription rate!
Privacy Policy