books

Options
Primble
Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi

i want to get more up to date books. is it osborne that are good ones?

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Osborne books are pretty good if you ask me, I liked them better than the BPP books.
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I never used the books for Level 3, so I wouldn't know but I did buy the osbourne books and they looked good and easy to understand!
  • Primble
    Options
    brilliant thanks. thats what i thought but thought i'd check before buying
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    brilliant thanks. thats what i thought but thought i'd check before buying

kaplan books are quite good ....but then again anything other than HLC will look great
  • Susan Dennis
    Susan Dennis Registered Posts: 14 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Marga wrote: ยป
    kaplan books are quite good ....but then again anything other than HLC will look great

Hi Marga
    I also enrolled with HLC this January to do AAT Level 3, must admit was the biggest mistake of my life, the books are full of errors, and tutor support non existent, still no further on with the course 7 months later. Did you use any other books to get you through the exams, at this rate i am not going to pass anything,and just have a huge debt round my neck for the next two years. I don't know how HLC are getting away with this.
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Having been waiting for many books from the publishers (I teach) only Osborne have provided almost a complete set (levels 2, 3 and 4). BPP have issues some paper and some e-books whilst Kaplan seem to have only managed to produce the bulk of level 2 & 3.

I have looked at Osborne for the first time and I must be honest, I find them very readable with some good examples to illustrate key points. I do like Kaplan books as they are a bit bigger and provide more room to make notes on each page and have also been approved by external organisations like the Dyslexia Society (text printed on grey background to reduce glare). Kaplan are also doing e-books which means you can have your library at work as well as home although you can't make notes on the pages with e-books.

My recommendation? If you want books now - order Osborne books - or keep checking kaplanbooks.co.uk to see if the books you require are available (tip: out of stock with Kaplan seems to indicate not yet published).
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I have used the Osbourne Books throught my studies as that is what my Learning Provider sends me. But to be honest when it came to consolidations in DFS I found the Kaplan Book easier to understand than the Osbourne Book. I just couldnt get my head around them from the Osbourne Book but the Kaplan one explained it a lot better. Cant comment on other subjects though.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I have used the Osbourne Books throught my studies as that is what my Learning Provider sends me. But to be honest when it came to consolidations in DFS I found the Kaplan Book easier to understand than the Osbourne Book. I just couldnt get my head around them from the Osbourne Book but the Kaplan one explained it a lot better. Cant comment on other subjects though.

I found BPP books and pass cards a lot better for DFS - the problem i had with kaplan was with tax books there was 4 pages of corrections
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I've just this second ordered my course for Technician with Kaplan (whey hey!) and they are catching up with the books - apparently the AAT left some things quite late to finalise but of the ones I need only budgeting isn't being sent straight away (half of MAC) so there is plenty to get on with.

Like Marga and others I too had the misfortune of dealing with HLC for level 3 and ending up buying the Kaplan books for FRA and ECR which were a breath of fresh air so can definitely recommend them. Have a look on Amazon (or even ebay) and you might get them quite cheaply.
  • Marga
    Options
    Hi Marga
    I also enrolled with HLC this January to do AAT Level 3, must admit was the biggest mistake of my life, the books are full of errors, and tutor support non existent, still no further on with the course 7 months later. Did you use any other books to get you through the exams, at this rate i am not going to pass anything,and just have a huge debt round my neck for the next two years. I don't know how HLC are getting away with this.

hi Susan i didnt use any other books and thank god i passed ECR and FRA. I even didnt bother to do the assignments on ECR

HLC is a big mistake

Kaplan books i understand them a lot and have plenty of exercises to complete.

If you need help with the level 3 let me know because i have done all exercises on them and i know where the errors are
  • Marga
    Options
    I've just this second ordered my course for Technician with Kaplan (whey hey!) and they are catching up with the books - apparently the AAT left some things quite late to finalise but of the ones I need only budgeting isn't being sent straight away (half of MAC) so there is plenty to get on with.

Like Marga and others I too had the misfortune of dealing with HLC for level 3 and ending up buying the Kaplan books for FRA and ECR which were a breath of fresh air so can definitely recommend them. Have a look on Amazon (or even ebay) and you might get them quite cheaply.

i bought all four Level 4 books DFS, MAC and the two tax units from Kaplan amazon in one go and they arrived very soon and new .... i think each book from amazon is around ยฃ17
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I used the Kaplan books all the way through, I bought BPP for PTC and I felt that it wasnt as good as the Kaplan books. PTC was also the exam I was least confident about after studying and I wished Id used Kaplan, so I would definately recommend Kaplan books.
  • Primble
    Options
    hi, Thanks for all the replies. I have been using Kaplan so far but thought (along with the need for up to date books) that looking at a fresh perspective migh help
  • Primble
    Options
    Right i'm part way through ordering these but just to clarify Limited company accounts tutorial 2nd ed unit 11 is DFS? i did click on the diploma pathway but i dont like it being called something else. and when i find it all on amazon it says nvq :(
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Right i'm part way through ordering these but just to clarify Limited company accounts tutorial 2nd ed unit 11 is DFS? i did click on the diploma pathway but i dont like it being called something else. and when i find it all on amazon it says nvq :(

Limited Company Accounts is definitely DFS but I am not sure about the edition number. I only borrowed the Kaplan book and have now returned it so cant check for you.
  • Primble
    Options
    yay all ordered. as soon as they turn up im knuckling down
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Limited Company Accounts is definitely DFS but I am not sure about the edition number. I only borrowed the Kaplan book and have now returned it so cant check for you.

Jewels - thank you, my Kaplan DFS book, passcards and your card (mwah) arrived back today!

Do I need to stick them back in the post to you Primble?????
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Primble
    Options
    Thanks. i have Kaplan ones. was looking for a change in scenery (and up to dateness)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    thanks. I have kaplan ones. Was looking for a change in scenery (and up to dateness)

ok :)
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy