Units 8 & 9

Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I was wondering if anyone else is finding units 8&9 hard going, I passed DFS no problems but this one I am struggling to absorb so to speak.

Comments

• NAJC
    NAJC Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor โญ
    me !

Yes i am !. I keep looking on here for help and have asked for some but noone seems to have anything :(. I think i just over complicate it but im taking these two in december !.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It might help to ask specific questions you got trouble dealing with, rather than a general question if anyone has any notes or something like that.

I found with these two, just like with DFS, it needs time to sink in, so you need to stick to it, and look at things from an employer/ business point of view, why would they want this information and how should I be able to get something that has a use.

I know that sounds very dreamy and not realistic, but in every case with these, work your way through the books, look at the budget setting, what would the company want to be budgetted for and how can I obtain/ show this information in a clear way.

In regards to the variances, look again to what the company is looking for, if you just set a budget for a period and the actual figures are completely different, how would you present it and what would help the managers to understand the difference and how could they avoid this in the future?

With regards to the ratio analysis, it is much the same as with DFS. Make sure you compare like with like and realise what they mean, how they are set up, what causes them to exist and all that.

Don't fret too much, try and understand why a company would want the information and build up your skills from there. Don't go sit there thinking you don't understand any of it, do some of the exercises from the book and see if that helps you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hate management accounting with a passion lol and my first ACCA paper is F5 :(
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    are you doing 1 paper or are you trying to do 2 papers for December ACCA exams?
  • AK002
    1, purely becuase there's 11 papers to do. So 1 in Dec then 2 every 6 months after that.
  • tammin
    tammin Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Unfortunatly, I failed Unit 9 (section 1) and Unit 8 (section 2) also.

I am re-siting these in December, hopefully with flying colours. I know where I went wrong in Unit 9, it was a horrible paper. But, with unit 8 I have no idea - I have been back through the exam paper, with the answers. It is the report part which I did not get right..

Any ideas or advice on the report writing?

Thank you :)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I am sitting MAC in December (equivalent to PCR and PEV) and am about to start my book all over again in the hope that it all goes in this time.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    am currently re-writing notes that a very nice person gave to me to try and remember where i went wrong
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    AK002 wrote: ยป

Glynis hates auditing and has started with F8 paper. It gives interesting observations to read those posts............

Do you think it's wise to start with F5 with a passionate hate for management accounting? would it be prudent to reflect on Glynis's exepriences?
  • stellababe
    stellababe Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I also failed PEV section 2, and was horified as I thought the exam was ok. If you go into your aat account and click on exam results, it will show you feedback so you will be able to pin point on which tasks you went wrong. It helped me as I was ready to appeal then I could see where I went wrong. With regards to PCR this was my second attempt at this exam as I felled in December 2009, the June paper was evil and I was ready to walk out after 5 minutes. Luckily I kept with it and felt that I would be sitting again for the 3rd time this December. Luck must of been on my side as I passed but god knows how.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Which books are you using? I found the Osborne books great
  • AK002
    sdv wrote: ยป
    Glynis hates auditing and has started with F8 paper. It gives interesting observations to read those posts............

Do you think it's wise to start with F5 with a passionate hate for management accounting? would it be prudent to reflect on Glynis's exepriences?

I think so, I'm going to have to sit it at one point so may as well do it when im only doing 1 exam in december :)
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Which books are you using? I found the Osborne books great
    Things may have changed in the years since I was a student, but I found Osborne surprisingly poor on PEV and BPP just as bad โ€“ neither's explanation of standard costing left me any the wiser.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Things may have changed in the years since I was a student, but I found Osborne surprisingly poor on PEV and BPP just as bad โ€“ neither's explanation of standard costing left me any the wiser.

No things havent changed CJC I am having real difficulty understanding my Osbourne Book on both MAC and BTC!
Privacy Policy