MAC in two units

Options
jenny3549
jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
MAC has been split on the new QCF into two units - Budgeting and Financial Performance - which I think is to bring it more into line with the NVQ units of PEV and PCR (although I don't know which one relates to which!).

My question is whether there is a best order to do them in or whether they are completely separate so it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I am doing MAC in Nov/Dec Exams but dont have a clue what you are talking about. Should I be worried? :confused:
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    jewels.p wrote: Β»
    I am doing MAC in Nov/Dec Exams but dont have a clue what you are talking about. Should I be worried? :confused:

Jewels I think you're ok for this year and that the new exams don't come in until next year.
  • jenny3549
    Options
    I am doing MAC in Nov/Dec Exams but dont have a clue what you are talking about. Should I be worried?

No, don't panic! I'm doing it under the new system where it's been split. You're on the Diploma pathway where it's still in one unit. I'm just the idiot guinea pig who's probably going to confuse everyone a lot over the next few months!!!

:blushing:
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    MAC has been split on the new QCF into two units - Budgeting and Financial Performance -

My question is whether there is a best order to do them in or whether they are completely separate so it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any advice!

In my opinion, doing unit 33 in December is the best option, because;

1 you have past record of MAC on how it is assessed
    2 You do NOT have to acheive 70% in both sections as required by QCF units
    3 The covergage of testing the subject will be limited as opposed to indepth testing for two separate units
    4 No multi guess questions- answers can be very similar to each other
    5 Markers of the papers are more likely to be sympathetic then computer's right or wrong answer

and anyway you can always convert to the new standards at any time.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you will have to wait until December to give a paper based exams
  • jenny3549
    Options
    sdv wrote: Β»
    In my opinion, doing unit 33 in December is the best option, because;

1 you have past record of MAC on how it is assessed
    2 You do NOT have to acheive 70% in both sections as required by QCF units
    3 The covergage of testing the subject will be limited as opposed to indepth testing for two separate units
    4 No multi guess questions- answers can be very similar to each other
    5 Markers of the papers are more likely to be sympathetic then computer's right or wrong answer

and anyway you can always convert to the new standards at any time.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you will have to wait until December to give a paper based exams

Thanks sdv but unfortunately I have already paid for the level under the new framework. I did consider doing it that way but it was a balancing act between having a more relaxed schedule for the exams (and being cheaper!) compared to having a better idea of what to expect from past papers etc.

The overall number of exams stays the same since I only have one option to take under the new framework so it balances out the two for MAC. Overall the idea of not having to stick to June and December won out but, knowing me, I've probably dropped myself in it!
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    from the looks of this 'paper by paper' guide, they look different - although this is way ahead of where i am so perhaps you will be able to judge better!

http://www.bpp.com/courses/examination-courses/accounting--finance/aat/aat-new-standards/paper-guidance.aspx

hope it helps!
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    @ JENNY .. I am in a same boat as you are I was about to do a same thing as you did to split them in two under new qualification but i haven't made a decision yet still considering all options . As some people have pointed out we will not have any idea how papers will look like secondly we have to attempt two papers instead of one thirdly there is no immediate date available to sit cbe for these units till 1st week of october and fourthly AAT still take 6 weeks to generate the results for these units as it still takes human verification on some parts of the written question
  • jenny3549
    Options
    @ JENNY .. I am in a same boat as you are I was about to do a same thing as you did to split them in two under new qualification but i haven't made a decision yet still considering all options . As some people have pointed out we will not have any idea how papers will look like secondly we have to attempt two papers instead of one thirdly there is no immediate date available to sit cbe for these units till 1st week of october and fourthly AAT still take 6 weeks to generate the results for these units as it still takes human verification on some parts of the written question

Just to throw one more thing in for you as well! Opened my personal tax today and the first thing I saw was the fact that the exam is two hours. I may be wrong but I assumed the paper based was three so am slightly concerned it's going to be very time pressured!

It could be that there are less questions but somehow I don't think so since I remember doing the CBEs for FRA and ECR as extra practice and, if anything, they took longer than all the past papers I did.

Eek!

:scared:
  • umerali2003
    Options
    when i rang aat on monday and told them i made my mind to convert to new qualification the 1st thing they told me once we put you to new qualification we wont be able to put you back on the paper based .... i said wait madam i will ring u back later since than i am thinking should i or should i not .......
  • Matt444
    Matt444 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Have any of you seen the practice CBE questions for the new syllabus on the MyAAT login?

It seems that the level 4 exams include some multiple choice questions...
    https://www.aat.org.uk/myaat/pa_lsb/

Matt
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Matt444 wrote: Β»
    Have any of you seen the practice CBE questions for the new syllabus on the MyAAT login?

It seems that the level 4 exams include some multiple choice questions...
    https://www.aat.org.uk/myaat/pa_lsb/

Matt

Hi Matt,

I had looked at some of them but it's a bit hard to compare. A lot of the multiple choice still require calculations to work out the answers so there does seem quite a lot to them but since I'm only just starting tax I can't really judge the work involved compared to the paper one, if you know what I mean.

There do seem to be quite a lot of questions for personal tax for a two hour paper though!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Here's hoping I pass my last two exams in December then. The Units are confusing enough at the moment without me having to worry about the new qualification. I have been told I have until next June to complete under the old qualification so that gives me two attempts if things dont work out.
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Here's hoping I pass my last two exams in December then. The Units are confusing enough at the moment without me having to worry about the new qualification. I have been told I have until next June to complete under the old qualification so that gives me two attempts if things dont work out.

You won't need two attempts - you're going to pass in December! Positive mental attitude and all that.

:thumbup:
  • umerali2003
    Options
    just rang bpp they are taking external students for cbe level 4 as early as next week ....I may give an early shot at the end of sep . As i got EXC on all parts of unit 33 except on performance indicator and what if analysis . The new standards which i looked on aat website for unit 33 are pretty much same and there are lot of questions available for practice
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Excellent, keep us posted on what it's like!
Privacy Policy