Is this a record??

BCASL
BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
Had a client ask if they could call in today, saying they were worried about some post from HMRC. We didn't think it could be anything to do with the recent HMRC problem, in the news, so we were intrigued.
When they arrived, they had a pile of 37 envelopes all received today. We opened them and there were a total of 155 penalty notices relating to CIS. We queried with HMRC, who confirmed that they were in fact sent out in error, due to a CIS scheme, that had been closed, accidentally being re-opened again, hence the notices dating back as far as 2008!
The total amount of penalties was £22400, not bad for a company that only turns over £30k per year!
Can anyone beat that amount of penalty notices and the amount of penalty for one client in one day!!!?

Comments

• Jill S
    Jill S Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    BCASL wrote: »
    Had a client ask if they could call in today, saying they were worried about some post from HMRC. We didn't think it could be anything to do with the recent HMRC problem, in the news, so we were intrigued.
    When they arrived, they had a pile of 37 envelopes all received today. We opened them and there were a total of 155 penalty notices relating to CIS. We queried with HMRC, who confirmed that they were in fact sent out in error, due to a CIS scheme, that had been closed, accidentally being re-opened again, hence the notices dating back as far as 2008!
    The total amount of penalties was £22400, not bad for a company that only turns over £30k per year!
    Can anyone beat that amount of penalty notices and the amount of penalty for one client in one day!!!?
    Has anyone ever sucessfully sued HMRC for causing illness or death due to mistakes in tax or penalty demands?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    it doesnt surprize me the mess PAYE have found themselves in at the moment as last year id say 25 people i know received 8 or more different code notices on the same day
  • acsacsacs
    acsacsacs Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Remember seeing something about this a couple of months ago, but jeez thats one hell of a lot!
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Jill,

To answer your question I know of no case where a taxpayer has successfully sued for the mental effects of their actions, however I did read a tax tribunal case where the panel did award the taxpayer compensation for the anxiety caused by an HMRC error and the manner in which they then pursued the matter.

I do know of an incident where a taxpayer claimed their partner died as a result of HMRC actions but I do not recall the outcome, or if it ever became official.

Payrollpro
Privacy Policy