How long does it takes to become a MAAT and then MIP?

Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
I'm wondering....once you have completed all the units and applied for MAAT status, how long does it takes to receive the certificate and approved as a member?

Then if you want to become a MIP, how long does it takes between the application and the acceptance?

Can someone apply to be a MIP without being yet a MAAT, or do you need to be a MAAT first?

Cheers

Comments

• dantray
    dantray Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor โญ
    I applied for MAAT status prior to completing tech level. After submitting work experience it took about four weeks to be approved by AAT and for them to contact my line manager to verify. might have taken that long due to time of year though.

My line manager approved it and after about a week I received email telling me I had provisional MAAT based on exams.

once I passed the exams i paid fee on the day and received welcome to the club email that afternoon. Certificate arrived a couple of days later.

I'm not sure about MIP timescales but I'm sure i've read quite a bit about this on the MIP section of AAT website. it may be on one of the downloads, e.g. MIP guidelines or application form, etc.

thanks
    dan
  • dantray
    dantray Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor โญ
    also,

Student members may work self employed in practice but may not advertise in relation to AAT, or use logo etc.

A condition of MAAT status is that you must register as MIP to carry out services, although there are circumstances that make you exempt (but for the most part, this won't apply).

Look at the MIP FAQ's for more info, it's quite good.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm wondering...

1.once you have completed all the units and applied for MAAT status, how long does it takes to receive the certificate and approved as a member?

2.Then if you want to become a MIP, how long does it takes between the application and the acceptance?

3.Can someone apply to be a MIP without being yet a MAAT, or do you need to be a MAAT first?

Cheers

1. Not very long ( a few weeks). There are plenty of bits you can do in advance such as get them to get a reference, so if you get these in place it speeds the process up

2. Same again. I applied for MIP the same time as MAAT and the whole thing was done in a few weeks.

3. No. As above, students can practice without a licence, as long as they make no reference to the AAT and only do work in which they are competent. Once you are a MAAT, if you want to do any work for yourself, you have to get a MIP licence.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Once you become AAT qualified do you have to register to become a MIP and get a license for any work you do. For example I work full time and was thinking about doing some extra work for self-employed friends I have when I qualify but am not sure what I would need to do for this?
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If your gross fee income is below ยฃ1000 a year you can apply for exemption from the mip scheme. I think otherwise, if your in practice you have to register as an mip as a condition of membership.
  • jewels.p
    Do you mean my gross fee income just for the accountancy work I do for myself? I wasnt sure with working full time if this is taken into consideration.
  • jow774
    As far as im aware just the accountancy work. But you cant claim to be a mip or put aat on your stationery etc.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    As far as im aware just the accountancy work. But you cant claim to be a mip or put aat on your stationery etc.

yes thats right, just your self employed turnover
  • jewels.p
    Do you mean I cant put MAAT after my name if I am not registered as a MIP? I thought I could once I qualify. For example on my emails at work.
  • jow774
    As long as you are a member you can put MAAT after your name but you can only use the AAT logo on your stationery if you are an MIP and even then it has to have the approved mip wording. Its a bit confusing isnt it. If you decide to not pay your membership you are supposed to send your certificate back!
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    thanks for the replies, at the moment I'm looking forward to be a MAAT, but look like it's taking ages! (even if reference and work experience have been approved from months!).
  • jewels.p
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    As long as you are a member you can put MAAT after your name but you can only use the AAT logo on your stationery if you are an MIP and even then it has to have the approved mip wording. Its a bit confusing isnt it. If you decide to not pay your membership you are supposed to send your certificate back!

I see thanks Jow774
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    thanks for the replies, at the moment I'm looking forward to be a MAAT, but look like it's taking ages! (even if reference and work experience have been approved from months!).
    I think your reference will have to be redone if it was done more than 6 months before you qualify. You might want to double check that is not the case when you passed all units!
Privacy Policy