Unit 17

Options
faith26
faith26 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor โญ
Has anyone done Unit 17. I failed DFS Mac and Business Tax in june so am thinking instead of doing Business Tax and doing Unit 17 Audit.

Can anyone give me advise.

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I've got some very blunt advice - don't do auditing. It's more difficult than people think it is. The tax papers are much easier. Did you do Unit 15 at level 3? If so, when you transfer to the new standards that will count as one of your options so you'll only need to do one tax paper and nothing else.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I agree..also audit is extremely boring and not that useful if you work in an accountancy practice.

I wish I did PTC instead of IAP.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i failed PTC so i am doing the sim to get it out of the way so i am qualified before feb next year

Tracy
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Got my Unit 17 skilltest on Saturday and have to say I will be extremely pleased to be rid of it as it has been very very dull!

However fairly useful for me with the job that I do!

Is a very unit similar to Professional ethics in that it is a lot of written answers required rather than arithmetic!
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I think auditing is exciting. It depends who is teaching it!

Auditing is like marmalade. Either you like it or hate it! and this applies to both the tutor and students.

Personally I found auditing much easier then personal tax or business tax, though I agree it is not a number crunching subject.

I would favour to take Unit 17 auditing because it does not have a central final exam but is assessed by skills tests. You can attempt 2 to 3 skills test if necessary. Central exams can only be taken in December or June.

But generally, if you are studing at a college, your tutor will have a fairly good idea of what is likely to be tested on the skills test and therefore prepare you for this.
  • taskey
    Options
    i am distance learning, so i am reading through the BPP book and also another i got free, a students guide to auditing. Looks ok so far.

No business, good luck and let me know how you get on. i also have cmcc to do aswell

Tracy
  • faith26
    Options
    Confused

I am so confused on what to do, I failed MAC, DFS and Business TAx at level 4
    I have already passed level two and the Project Unit 10 and personal tax.

Now shouldI transfer over to the new set up or just resit the three.

Am trying to do this all on my own now. I studyed at college the last three years but they dont want to know now.

What do I do HELP
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

Am trying to do this all on my own now. I studyed at college the last three years but they dont want to know now.

What do I do HELP

The college does not want to know because they are interested in getting their students to pass within the academic year in which the students have enrolled. The college only get paid once for every student, irrespective of that student has passed or not.

If the student does not pass, it is not cost effective for the colleges to offer places to students to complete the unsucessful units.

If you enrolled to the college again, it will cost you anything between ยฃ1100 and ยฃ1600. If you have only 3 units complete then I would suggest that

Attempt only 1 exams at a time. Revision courses from Kplan etc will only cost ยฃ250 - ยฃ350 for each unit

1 first concerntrate on MAC and attempt the exam in DEC and if necessary again in JUNE. (If you convert to the new standards you will have to give 2 exams PCR and PEV)

2 THEN convert your AAT membership to 2010 standars and give DFS computer based exam (every 6 weeks if necessary)

3 followed by Business Tax computer based exam (every 6 weeks if necessary)

work on one unit at a time and you will be fine. Downside is that it may take longer, but attempting 2 or 3 exams at the same time will be very difficult and you may lose the study motivation all together and it may be costly as well
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

What do I do HELP

Have you not done Level 3? Seems strange to do Level 2 and Level 4 but not Level 3, is there a reason for that?
  • faith26
    Options
    Yes I have done level 2 and 3 just level to complete.

I have transfered over now and now start at a new college who have yes they will only charge 471 for the three units I need to do and it includes the exams as well. I spoke to a really nice lecturer who really made me feel loads better.

Thanks everyone for you help a advise.

Denise
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Taskey it wasnt too bad. Very wordy and for me very similar to professional ethics in that I kept having to remind myself to answer the question and not just fill the paper for the hell of it!

Fingers well and truly crossed for the result!

Just got Unit 33 and 10 to go-Unit 33 if BPP ever get round to delivering the books 7 working days and counting now!!!
  • taskey
    Options
    fingers crossed for you.

have you started on your unit 10 yet? i found that really interesting to do.

am wading through the audit book.

tracy
Privacy Policy