Applying for extra time for medical condition??

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Has anyone ever done this? i have a condition Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which affects my wrist and makes writing pretty tuff going am now studying on my own and not sure how you apply for extra time.

Any advise would be great

Thanks

Vic

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    It's a complete fiasco trying to sort it out in my experience. AAT tell you to speak to the exam centre. The exam centre tell you to speak to AAT!!!!!

In the end, it's up to the exam centre. You need to get in touch with them to ensure that they can facilitate your extra time with staffing levels. I took an email with me which showing that the exam centre had confirmed that I could have extra time.

I had hip replacement 5 weeks before exam date and was supposed to walk around for 10 minutes in every hour - not at all practical in an exam. All I did was stood up every so often and did a few circles with my leg.

When the invigilator came around checking names/desk numbers I showed her the email and double checked.

In the end I didn't need the extra time, but I was panicking as I took PEV/PCR exams and didn't want to be trying to scribble answers at the end having been 'swinging my leg' through the exam!!!!

Between the AAT and the exam centre they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot though and it took lots of phone calls/emails to sort it out.

AAT just don't respond to any emails - I've sent others recently too, no answers :( I despair!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Has anyone ever done this? i have a condition Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which affects my wrist and makes writing pretty tuff going am now studying on my own and not sure how you apply for extra time.

Any advise would be great

Thanks

Vic

If your exam centre is a college, they will have an assessment facility that can issue a certificate on how much extra time you are required. This certificate is then given to the exam office who will then add that extra time for your exam.

you need to apply to the exam centre and ask them how can you get extra time for exams due to your medical ccondition.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Thanks both

Not sure where i will be sitting the exam but i guess i will have to get my skates on and find out then contact the AAT and find out. As an external candidate do you need to provide a certificate from your doctor?
Privacy Policy