Steve's DFS Tips

Options
Steve Collings
Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi All,

I am assuming (well hoping) that you are all hard at work studying for the December diet of exams! A number of students have asked me various questions about DFS/FNST and how best to study for it. I covered the main areas about studying for DFS in this thread and you should all have a read of my Success at DFS article. I also wrote an article on preparing for the DFS exam in December 2009, the contents of which are particularly relevant to December 2010, so it might be worth a read of that.

You should also purchase (if not already purchased) Clare Finch's IFRS Guide which will help clear the water in terms of the IFRS/IAS relevant to DFS and help with the common question pivotal to DFS which is 'how do I study the accounting standards?'

The following articles are also relevant to DFS which you should print off and read:

Accounting for intangible assets
Leasing and hire purchase contracts
Provisions and contingencies
Statement of cash flows
Inventories

Please note where articles refer to UK GAAP, these are for illustrative purposes only - DFS/FNST will examine IFRS/IAS, so do not get confused!

Once again I apologise for not being able to run lectures for the December sitting due to other work commitments, but I will be putting up threads to help you with your DFS studies over the next couple of months.

Hope that helps so far!

Regards,
Steve

Comments

• Gill Gittings
    Gill Gittings Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would just like to add that I bought claires book following Steve's recommendation as I thought if Steve is recommending it then it must be good and it helped with my F7 ACCA studies. It is brill ! Steve I also bought your book and that was good as well :) I'm starting the P papers now and will be using your books for the dreaded P2
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I'm far too busy lowering the standards (they're ermm..quite straight laced)on 'Accountancystudents' to get any F5 & F7 studying done at the moment. Gill, good luck on P2, and get yourself over to the other site so we can show 'that lot' how it's done (or not, lol)
  • Barry
    Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks Steve. Our tutor told us to read your articles at college this week. I struggle with the consolidation accounts , any advice on this would be helpful.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Barry,

This article looks at the consolidated statement of financial position and this one looks at the consolidated statement of comprehensive income.

Hope that helps for now.

steve
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Listen to Steve all you guys doing DFS in December! He defo helped me pass in June. As a Distance Learner I was struggling with this subject but with all his help and advice I found the exam pretty straightforward and believe me when I started it I just couldnt understand most of it.

:001_smile:
Privacy Policy