Thinking of returning to AAT Study

Options
Peaches
Peaches Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone,

As you can see I'm new here, but not new to the AAT. I began studying AAT NVQ2 back in 2005 and gained both NVQ2 and NVQ3 by August 2007. I tried with no success in gaining employment so I could complete NVQ4 (I was told by my college I needed to be in employment to study for my final stage of the AAT qualification). So as I even couldn't secure a job in admin I shamefully gave up on my dream career.

During that time I have been volunteering at a primary school as a Teaching Assistant and have just begun a course with the OU to help me gain Higher Level Teaching Assistant status. To get to the point rather quickly. I've been thinking that teaching is not pushing my brain hard enough, I've even had to second guess myself with simple tasks in everyday life. I feel 70% sure that I want to give accountancy a second chance. The only downside is less holidays, but the upside, more pay and I get to fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a chartered accountant if I complete AAT and then ACCA etc.

Do you think I should bite the bullet and continue my AAT study and gain what is now the Level 4 Diploma? What about my lack of admin/office experience? I have also forgot how to use Sage Line 50 and how to do spreadsheets during my gap years. I have worked towards Level 1 & Level 2 in Adult Literacy and Adult Numeracy. Would Accountancy practices favour my willingness to learn and perhaps volunteer 2 days a week? I do lack self confidence but when i first began my AAT study I loved the person I become, I respected myself more which in turn created a positive ripple effect.

I am scared of continuing my training for it to come to nothing.

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate your advice.

Peaches.

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    You have a very big advantage in that you already have some teaching experience.

why don't you continue to complete Level 4 and then instead of gonig into practising accounatcy, strart teaching accounts.

It will solve your job hunting problem as well as having less holidays. College tutors get over 60 days holidays in a year and they are better remunirated.

But to teach AAT at any level you will need a level 4 qualifications.

there are plenty of aat teahing jobs about. search the internet-

salary range 18K to 35K
  • Yestin
    Yestin Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Your dream job when you were a child was to be an accountant! Man! I wanted to be a Jedi!!
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Peaches,

I am the same situation with you, hoping might one day a successful accountant but I don't really know how to get there! I finished my studies and I just received that my last unit 10 has been competent. I am working in two organisations in 3 times a week of my time but none of them are in acocunts.I am thinking of learning or study in teaching so that I am able to teach through AAT. I just can't get work into finance I tried my hardest to apply jobs but what I have received all the time is rejection after rejection.I finance all my studies but I can't really afford spending my money at the moment, well my husband's money of course.
    Regarding with your situatuion I think you have an advantage to teach once you are qualified as you have an experienced.

Good luck..
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yestin wrote: »
    Your dream job when you were a child was to be an accountant! Man! I wanted to be a Jedi!!

Fantastic - that made me snort out loud!
  • deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Go for Level 4!!!

I must admit i always wanted to be an accountant and started studying about 20 years ago but marriage and kids took over. Now at the young age of 39 i am doing level 4 at my local college 1 day a week. I also got my dream job in April this year, working in an accounts office for Age Concern, part time but it suits me very well and means i gain the experience to obtain MAAT status. Like you, i would also like to continue onto ACCA next year. Its never too late to learn!!!
  • nick8081
    nick8081 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here too, first post. The good thing about a career in accounting is that literally every business needs to do accounting, and because of this there's always going to be jobs, everywhere and in every industry, it's just a matter of getting them. Like anything though, it's who you know not what you know half the time, and this couldn't be more true when it comes to getting your first job and getting a foot in the door.

After thinking about it for a while and researching it, a lot, I've recently decided this is the career for me. I have my first AAT class at my local college tomorrow evening in fact, really looking forward to it! Anyway, my current job is completely unrelated to accounting but last week I had a chat with the MD of one of our suppliers that I deal with regularly, explained what I'm doing and basically, cut a long story short, he'll give me a job in his accounts team in about 6 months time, which is when i would have just about completed my level 2 and got a bit of knowledge at least, so works out perfectly.

With accounting being required by so many different businesses the best thing, in my opinion, is to ask around. If you have any friends or relatives that work in any sort of senior position in a small or medium sized company they should be able to help you get a foot in the door. Just gives you a bit of advantage and they may not have anything now but at least they know your interested for when they do. Have a chat with the accounts people in your current place of work, working in a school, they'll need accounting staff there. You'll also find that the accounts staff in a lot of small businesses don't actually have any accounting qualifications so would probably welcome you having done first 2 levels of the AAT, certainly the case in some small companies I know.

It's all about networking! Then after you've got your first job it's all about experience! Having said all that, I'm still yet to start my first job in accounting so we'll see what happens!

Regards
    Nick
  • Peaches
    Options
    Thank you both Deborah and Nick, I really do feel as though I should continue and find someway of getting experience. I may have to dig out the old textbooks to refresh my memory though.
    At the moment though, I need to stay at the school to complete this teaching assistant qualification But I am definately wanting to return to accounts now.

Peaches
  • mge
    mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Peaches wrote: »

I am scared of continuing my training for it to come to nothing.

It is possible that it will come to nothing. But if you don't give it a go then it will definitely come to nothing.

Unless this is going to cause serious financial problems for you then I would continue your studies. If it is your dream and you don't follow it you will always be thinking "what if?"
  • Peaches
    Options
    mge wrote: »
    If it is your dream and you don't follow it you will always be thinking "what if?"

I couldn't agree more. That is the question that I have been thinking and asking myself.
    If I continued with teaching in 20-30 years I KNOW for a fact I'll be asking myself "what if I'd continued training in accounts...." I'd regret not doing it. I also want to be a good role model to my children, I have a dream.... it's my responsibility to pursue it and not give up.

Thank you xx
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    sdv wrote: »
    You have a very big advantage in that you already have some teaching experience.

why don't you continue to complete Level 4 and then instead of gonig into practising accounatcy, strart teaching accounts.

I think that's a great idea
  • Nick
    Nick Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I like teaching

teaching accounts will get your brain going - I do two evenings a week teaching level 2 certificate and it pushes me, and I have been qualified for 6 years. Its a good thing to do if you can.

Yestin - I also wanted to be a jedi. I now use the 'force' to fit the pieces of the accounting jigsaw together. Its not a bad compromise.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

Peaches - Did you get round to doing the AAT xourse?

Thanks
Privacy Policy