HMRC to look at centralising PAYE tax system

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Looked this article:-

http://www.clbcoopers.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=33274&d=601&h=160&f=260&u=34e7cF46&m=7736

Now wondering yet another expensive idea HMRC have to simplyfy a system and bugger it up again and we again end up picking up the bill.

what do you lot think?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Dear God,

I, along with every tax professional in the country, pray fervently that the above does not come to pass. May you inspire us to work hard to lobby the relevant people to ensure this outcome.

Amen.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    personally i handle 6 weekly payrollys, seven monthly and 30+ plus that are processed ever 5 weeks. Not including 100+ yearly P35 for different clients who mainly (bugga up) i mean do there own payroll lord knows i really could do without this coming to pass.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'm not religious but this requires the big guns!! ;)

I honestly can't see this happening. It will totally sabotage the PAYE industry. It's already been proved that HMRC can't be trusted to get tax codes and calculations right.

Rather, I think it better to shift the task of getting it right for everyone onto the professionals, and doing what they do in the USA, and requiring all people to do a tax return. I realise there is a cost associated with this but a simple return with a handful of employments need only cost ยฃ50 or so and can be done by an experienced junior. Money well spent for getting it right and I'm sure there could be a way of subsidising it for the low paid.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rather, I think it better to shift the task of getting it right for everyone onto the professionals, and doing what they do in the USA, and requiring all people to do a tax return.

Agreed!
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hmrc

Hi - I agree with the comments as well that it could be more like the American system. There we fill in a W-2 form when we start a job and then every year between January and April, we file a tax return in which quite a few people have gotten money back. I got money back every year, but only because I filed as single and had more taken out than was required. I have gotten 1 refund from HMRC when I first came over as I was paying too much tax once I got my NI number and it was all reclaculated. The tax rates in America for withholding I feel are more fair as well (I had 15% withheld out of my pay).
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Not 100% sure about the tax return idea personally i think would come with its own new set of problems.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    They don't seem to be able to do what they do at the moment properly, half the time. It'd just get worse - and with no-one 'semi-independent' checking PAYE coding notices I think a lot of people would end up being processed with wrong tax codes without realising.

OMG - it just doesn't bear thinking about!!!!! They just couldn't cope :-/////
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Wonder if they'd also raise a tax on businesses to pay for payroll processing ?????
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy