Declining a client on moral grounds

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I just turned down a client because their business is battery farming hens, which makes me sick to my stomach and I don't want to take money from that.

Are there any industries you would turn down on moral grounds?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    When employed I have had to deal with battery hen farming and also a loan shark. Yes believe it or not there was a loan shark that declared the income. Still as much as it may have seemed more normal as they were declaring the income a 100% interest fee charged at the point of advance was quite excessive and I am sure some 'persuading' to pay up went on!

Still I wan't in a position to decline back then. Would be something I would decline now though.
    Regards,

Burg
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Solicitors.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I took on a client who said he advised charities on what grants might be available to them (specifically those who dealt with housing people) which seemed like a simple consultancy business, but when I looked at the huge amount of aged debt which he wanted me to aggressively chase for and how he wanted to incorporate the business without being named as a director the whole thing looked like a scam & I got out quick!

I wouldn't touch a battery farmer either - hope you told him exactly why you weren't interested!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Solicitors.

Heh heh heh...
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I just turned down a client because their business is battery farming hens, which makes me sick to my stomach and I don't want to take money from that.

Are there any industries you would turn down on moral grounds?

Good on you for taking a moral decision like this!
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Solicitors.

Not quite in the same league, I know.
    Once had an interview with a firm of solicitors that dealt mainly with personal injury claims. I found out the day before I went and realised that there was no way I could work for them. It was the most relaxed interview I have ever had!

Robet - someone might say "Recruitment Agencies"
  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I'm with you, Jan.

I once had an interview with what was described to me as a finance company. When I went into the interview, the interviewer came out and said that they provide short term finance for people who can not get finance elsewhere. As soon as that was said, I lost interest... I didn't want anything to do with doorstep loans!
Privacy Policy