Bookkeeping for small company

Options
beavis182
beavis182 Registered Posts: 130 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
ive just started bookkeeping for a small company part time (manly taking work home to do in my spare time for experience free of charge etc). Ive been given, basically a box of clients documents to start from 1st June 2010. Ive been told to do start off with doing a cashbook and go off his cheque stubs then his invoices of payments recieved. Im getting abit stuck because he seems to be a) missing a whole cheque book b) no June bank statement so i dont know his opening balance c) missing purchase invoices d) missing sale invoices... Basically bit of a nightmare at the moment!

Anyway i dont really want to mess it up because its my first time, after i have chased the client for all the missing documents should i go off all his cheque payments and sales invoices and basically then reconcile his bank statement off the cash book?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i would input the invoices and pay the check stubs but for the moment i would leave the bank till you get the first statement or you will get in a right mess when it comes to reconcilling later on.
  • beavis182
    Options
    Its abit of a jumble really because i have purchase invoices that are June/July but of course i dont know if they are paid because of the missing cheque stubs. Also i forgot to add that the clients writing is SO bad, its impossible to see from the cheque stubs what invoices he is paying without trying to tie up the amounts with invoices...(which of course, some are missing).

All in all its a nice little challenge for my first time :-)
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    And so typical of a small business, but will give you great satisfaction when all is in order!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i know its a bit late now but try to get the owner or whoever pays the bills to write the cheque number on the invoice - otherwise best of luck will take a while but once you get them to either send or re-order the bank statement it might make a bit more sence and yes you will find yourself nagging for them
  • beavis182
    Options
    ok great, i shall keep on chasing them for all the missing bits i need then hopefully it will all make sense and then i should be able to reconcile the cashbook and see what invoices are still outstanding etc. I want to do well on this one as they are thinking of offering me a full time placement and experience in doing accounts for clients is just what i need on my CV at the moment.
Privacy Policy